Posing Tricks

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

downonthefarm

Reaction score
We have an 11 wk old junior French Lop that is a posing nightmare. She is the friendliest, most curious in the litter. She insists on popping up and jumping backwards. She hates to have her head touched. What tricks do you use on problem posers?

This is going to sound really mean but when you're posing them and they keep going backwards let them fall off the table (not all the way just enough to scare them a bit). Eventually they learn that if they continue to back up they're going to fall. With the ones that sit up when they're being posed I usually just tickle their bellies they don't like it much so they stop sitting up. When they do pose even if it's not the best pose I always give them treats so they learn that good things happen when they do what you want them too.

Hello Downonthefarm,
here are a few things that will stop them in their tracks!
Duct tape them to the table top!
If that doesn't work, there's always a Staple Gun! :mbounce:
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Ottersatin-- you are soooo wicked!!!
I can see the new product now: "Rabbit Staples" Hold your rabbit in place while the judge tries his darndest to check the belly for white hair or mismarks. Staple remover available separately.<br /><br />__________ Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:54 pm __________<br /><br />
downonthefarm":2vwvj5gl said:
She hates to have her head touched. What tricks do you use on problem posers?
The 'letting them fall' off the table is a trick show dog people and dog groomers use- it can be VERY effective.
for the touching the head--in an area NOT on the table, just set the rabbit down and stroke, nose to tail, and of course, treat. I am trying to get my two MR boys calmed down by daily handling, treating-- I want them both to be handled by ANY child without feeling afraid..so I even pinch the toes a bit, pull ears, etc-- good behaviour(no biting, scratching) gets treated--

Another thing you may want to keep in mind also, is that often times when a rabbit won't pose (like won't let their head be put where it needs to be) and pulls up, low or long shoulders can be an issue. If a rabbit doesn't have shoulder issues, they often times will pose. They may not want to stay there for long, but they will at least cooperate. So, that's just something to keep in mind.

Otherwise, some of the other tips mentioned may help. Or, also letting her run around in an x-pen or something to help get out some extra energy.

ottersatin":b1totz6t said:
Hello Downonthefarm,
here are a few things that will stop them in their tracks!
Duct tape them to the table top!
If that doesn't work, there's always a Staple Gun! :mbounce:
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Now there's a couple of things that I never thought of! ;)

__________ Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:45 am __________

Thank you for the suggestions. We'll give them a try & see if we can get this girl to cooperate.

This is a great thread! I don't want to hijack it, But I want to know what a rabbit thinks is a tempting treat--so I am starting a new topic!

For my difficult one I just lightly cupped the rabbit's head until she stopped thrashing and then released and pet her. Repeat. Eventually she learned that she would only be let go if she stayed still. Then we started working on keeping her head down. It's the same concept used with any animal. Set the situation up, wait until they do the right thing, and then give a reward.

Latest posts

Back