Poor little Hamletta!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzy9

Reaction score
When I went out to feed this morning, I noticed some matted white fur in Julie and Hamletta's cage. Not thinking it was anything to major, I started to feed. Came back to Julie's cage to feed, and noticed a big white fur ball in the corner, and then saw Julie pulling fur out of Hammies back. Poor little thing is nearly bald on her back! :shock:

Hopefully you recall, Julie is my little problem breeder, and her only surviving kit is Hamletta. This is her 3rd attempt at a litter, first she missed, 2nd only produced 1 surviving kit out of 4 born, and this is her 3rd breeding.

Thing is, her day 28 is not for 8 more days, and I wasn't going to pull Hammy until tomorrow. Normally she's a grain hog, and eats it all right away when I feed. She ate a couple pellets, and left them. I gave her the normal large handful of hay, and rather than eat it, she's got a hay mustache. So I filled a nestbox with shavings and hay, and put it in her cage. She's in and out, and carrying her hay.

Is this normal behavior? What is this? False pregnancy? Aborting early? Nothing has changed for her feed wise, and she doesn't look that big, though I'm not expecting a large litter from her. It's been much cooler since last weeks heat, still warm, but not like what we had last week, so I don't think heat is stressing her.

My vet is coming tomorrow, if nothing has happened, I'll have her palpated. Oh, and I did pull little Hamletta. Poor little thing.

maybe false pregnancy--but they usually start that at about now, don't they? Or even earlier, like day 17... Poor baby!

could just be getting ready early. I'd be hesitant to Palpate her at this stage. You'd have to be VERY careful not to hurt the kits. No harm in just waiting things out. :)

Ok, I won't have the vet palpate her then. Thank you for pointing that out.

I really really really hope it's not a false pregnancy, but that's what I'm afraid of. She is such a sweetheart doe, I am so hoping for a positive outcome for her.<br /><br />__________ Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:29 am __________<br /><br />Would she be off feed if she was just getting a nest ready early? I'll be out there most of the day, cleaning, so I'll be able to keep a close eye on what she's doing.

That could be, she seems to be a more modern type of girl, and one who would keep up with all the latest trends! :lol: :pinkbunny:

I had does who would nest throughout their entire pregnancies pulling fur here and there, making nests in every corner and then eating it. It was enough to drive anyone insane wondering if they actually took or where just having a false pregnancy.

Devon, were they ever off feed when they would nest early?

She is one that pulls a ton of fur too, and she would pull fur, and add to the nest daily with her first litter. Maybe it's her natural instinct to nest taking over. I'm thinking positive! Darn does!!! Always keeping us on our toes. :lol:

I got sidetracked.........I'm headed out now to clean, and see what she's doing.

Back