Poop in the nest box?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beach Bunny

Reaction score
I will say that Ginger is being a great mom to her new babies but I am puzzled about this.I'm finding her poop the nest box.It is on the opposite side the kits are on.Does nursing make them have to poop?When we had the Mini Rex i don't recall this happening. Could the nest box be too big? The weird thing is she never uses her bedroom area for going to the bathroom?? :?

I do believe that baby buns eat some of their mom's poop to help establish gut flora, and that's why the does poop in the next box. I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

As long as it's only a couple poops, it's fine. But once you start noticing wetness or a lot of poops, then she's using it as a toilet. Note, poops will collect over time. Mine rarely poop in the nest, but occasionally there will be a poop or two in there. Also, poops should be at the front of the nest, where her butt is, back is where the kits should be and where it should be free of poops.

Also, if you are finding pee in the nestbox, check to see if it isn't the kits :) What goes in must come out :p

But, with the poop being deposited on one side, it sounds like the doe is leaving them their "starter pellets" :D If she is a relatively inexperienced mom, she may be overdoing it a bit, but better too much than not enough IMHO.

You may also want to sprinkle a bit of oatmeal and pellets in the nestbox so the babies can get started on solids too.

It must be she is pooping for the babies because her usual poop spot is clear on the other side of the hutch.There is no pee either so i will just freshen it up for them as it gets messy.

They are a week old now would it be to soon to sprinkle pellets for them? They are very voracious that is for sure.

I usually start sprinkling the oats and pellets in when I am seeing "eyeballs" ... they start "peeking" a day or two before, so watch for that :p

I am having this problem as well, except she is pooping and peeing, and the kits are actually wet and dirty looking. They're about 2.5 weeks old. I've already emptied and cleaned the nest box twice, and she's still doing it. She just started about 1 week ago. I am not sure or her breed, or if she's kindled before, but I know she's about 1 year old.

At this point, and since it's so warm here right now, I've just removed the nestbox and piled some hay in the cage for the 6 kits. Should I be washing them? Do they need a nestbox at this point?

Thank you for your help!

Jenn (Eastern Ontario, Canada)

My doe has a marble slab to lie on because it's so hot...she left a few poops on it one day. The kits all scrambled out of their nest and ate the poops like piranhas, LOL!!! It is normal. :)

MrsDiGiacomo":3na2jhi9 said:
I am having this problem as well, except she is pooping and peeing, and the kits are actually wet and dirty looking. They're about 2.5 weeks old. I've already emptied and cleaned the nest box twice, and she's still doing it. She just started about 1 week ago. I am not sure or her breed, or if she's kindled before, but I know she's about 1 year old.

At this point, and since it's so warm here right now, I've just removed the nestbox and piled some hay in the cage for the 6 kits. Should I be washing them? Do they need a nestbox at this point?

Thank you for your help!

Maybe turn the box on it's side? That way she can't hop into it, but the kits still have a snuggly place to go to.

MrsDiGiacomo":h2zoxb1p said:

Thank you for your help!

I always take there next box on them around 18 days on in the summer.. In the winter it will stay in longer<br /><br />__________ Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:25 am __________<br /><br />
Kyle@theHeathertoft said:
My doe has a marble slab to lie on because it's so hot...she left a few poops on it one day. The kits all scrambled out of their nest and ate the poops like piranhas, LOL!!! It is normal. :)

That is very normal

Latest posts

Back