Polish boys - a decision to make

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't have cage space to keep both, though I can keep both for about a month.

march162011064.jpg

march162011063.jpg

march162011062.jpg

march162011061.jpg

march162011065.jpg

One will be replacing dad who is a chocolate polish.

The broken is bigger but fuller through the mid-section.

The self is smaller (of course) with tighter ears...wondering if they might cross abit as they mature, but something about him I like.

The depth of chocolate in their coats is similar.

Just wanting some second opinions. One of these will be the start of me making my own lines and hopefully producing good quality polish.

Hmmm, I don't know much about the SOP on Polish, but the way I am reading it, the little self seems typier?

He has a cuter face. I like brokens, but I think I like the self better in this instance.

It could be the angle, or the markings, or the position, but the broken looks like it has a flatter top line. Also, it is wider, but not as smooth when viewed from the top.

But I am just making guesses--I don't know polish...I just want to see what other people say, I am learning!

i might have time tomorrow to take better pics of them. These are what I had a quick moment tonight to take. :) i originally planned to keep the broken, but as they get older I'm starting to like the self better...but I can't pin down why.

Could you post a pic of the sire? I would tend to go with the self as well, and hope he fills out a little bit. I like the shape to his ears better. I can't tell for sure, but the broken looks to me like a false dwarf and he's going to be too big to be a good show rabbit. I like the color on the solid chocolate!

60 points on the head
choose the better head, as long as it doesn't have a bad body.
I personally know one buck that will wipe the class, but has just a barely OK body, so he can never get anything on the BOS table.

60 points? My SOP says: head 15, ears 15, eyes 15...did they change it, or am I reading something wrong? I am still learning to decipher this thing...I have the 2011.

eco2pia":2bfpxwc0 said:
60 points? My SOP says: head 15, ears 15, eyes 15...did they change it, or am I reading something wrong? I am still learning to decipher this thing...I have the 2011.

No, you're right.

sorry, I should restate that, 60% of type is the HEAD (do the math)
If you don't have a good head you will never win
but like I said above, a great head isn't everything.

That said, broken not bad and may have a better head
but here is a secret...
Unless you have a POLISH judge, most judges won't go by actual, wait a minute, let me get my thumb out there and see which is wider.
they go by their impression, and with a broken, the pattern can/does work against them, with the color/eye markings making the head seem narrow, and the colored nose stand out against the throat and seem long. So a solid and a broken, both the same body/head, the broken will look more 'horse faced' with a 'narrower' body. from above.

But the broken is also flat, (could be a bit over fed, they tend to do that, or just the pose) with a bit of a pinched hind end.
Heads can come later, My wife has a GC that had a 'does' head until past 9 months. Throw them up on the judges table and take notes of the paid opinion.

NOT a show rabbit person AT ALL ...
I always go for the broken rabbit - I'm a sucker for anything "broken" I guess ;) but I agree in this case, at this moment, there is something catching about the little guy - I don't think you'll be able to be SURE until they are a little more grown up though :)

Heh, it seems like you have a lot of "non-showing persons" opinions. I among them. Truthfully, I think any rabbit with a wider head more attractive. I raise meat rabbits, and one of the things I DONT like about commercial NZWs is their "pointy" head. For my own purposes, I have to select on many other factors, but if I ever get down to two that are equal, otherwise, I will always pick the wider head. In meat rabbits, this is actually probably the wrong way to go, because the more mass the head has, the more waste one has upon processing. I think it is a physiological thing. Most everyone likes 4 week old bunnies, and their head is much broader and more massive, compared to their bodies than adults. All that being said, I find the self much more "attractive" I think that is because it "appears" to have a broader head, it has larger, brighter eyes, and the color is more attractive than a dilute broken. The broken also appears sort of "fat" in the belly. That, along with the fur makes it appear less sleek.

and just where is Baxter? They are eight weeks old. So I doubt they'll be big enough by then...have to be 1 lb don't they?

You need a couple more months to make a decision.. And actually Baxter isn't really in Baxter anymore, its going to be just outside of Barrie towards Angus/Borden area(west of Barrie) on Hwy . 90. Its the first show of the year for the DRBCA and is always a big turnout!

Back