Please tell me what this is....he is new

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessykah

Reaction score
I just got a new buck from a Buy/Sell/Trade... The guy had no idea what breed he is. I am sure it is a mix. Maybe flemish/chinchilla?? I don't know much about other breeds, just about the ones I have.
He is pretty big. Nice looking. I forgot to get a pic of his face, but it is kinda boxy. I will get a pic tomorrow maybe. I weighed him. He is about 9.8lbs, but he was moving a lot on the scale, so that may not be accurate. His feet are HUGE!!
He is a nice buck. He will be in quarantine for a month. In the spring I will breed him to my californian does, NZW doe, and the Hyplus 19 doe.
I like the black tips on his ears. I saw a litter of his. the kits had the black tips as well. Looks nice.
What breed(s) do you think he is???

Attachments

• DSCF0447.JPG
    DSCF0447.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 529
  • DSCF0446.JPG
    DSCF0446.JPG
    898.4 KB · Views: 529
  • DSCF0444.JPG
    DSCF0444.JPG
    923.5 KB · Views: 529
weight is about right for an american chinchilla so could be at least part that, if not full?

Possible but AmChins have a commercial body type while this guy has more of a mandolin/semi arch shape and so I think he is a smallish Giant Chinchilla.

I agree with Dood. In other news, that is a honking huge rabbit. -sticks to my Minis-

Definitely some champagne in him...coat looks identical to my champagnes....
Them are some big rabbits too...

Thanks for the input. So what's the brown from then? Maybe the flemish coming through from the giant chinchilla part?

he's moulting, ergo the brownish tinge. :) looks giant chin or possibly a flemish. could just be a cross as well. I wouldn't be sticking a breed label on him, but just say he's like a giant breed cross.

He is a Flemish champagne cross..I regonize the ears right of the bat.. I cant see his face.. the fur has the sliver ticking to his coat.. Flemish for the size of his feet and the brownish coming through his coat.. It is a good cross for meat rabbit as the champagne has good meat to bone ratio.. and the large bones from the Flemish for size.... Now it depends on which way his genes went for the bone structure. He also looks like he has some new Zealand in him as well.

He is chinchilla "colour"; he has a mandolin shape... I see no champage at all, the brownish is old coat moulting out is all. He has strong Flemish influence is him and is probably still young and growing. Flemish DO come in chin colour btw and he is showing normal agouti colouring although it is somewhat "uneven". In the closeup pic I don't see any white guard hairs but you never know it could be there are some "stray white" in there. Nice find!! We just recently got some gems ourselves out of a kijji add in amongst as the "junk" posted there!! I guess it pays to keep looking through those adds!!

Latest posts

Back