PLease read this

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a rabbit that is staring to sneeze. I am very concerned to what is going on . So i did some research on pasteurella. I came up with this.
gov.on.ca/english/livestock/alternat/
according to this there is something that caught my eye. It says
•airborne transmission does not have a major role in transmission of the bacteria(1); and

Is this really true. Please read the page and let me know what you guys think.
I have a mother of 5 that is almost 5 weeks old. She started sneezing for a few days now. I have be watching her . I notice that if i look really close that under her nose is just slight wet. Right now she is the only one. I am thinking if there is a chance sha has the snuffles that i am going to take out the mom and cull her as i will not play around with this stuff. But i want to make sure this is it. Need advise please.

i would isolate her NOW. remove her from the kits and put her in a well-ventilated area.
away from all other rabbits.

keep a really close eye on her. In fact if you could, isolate both mom and the litter separately. keep a good watch on both. if you see snot or messy front legs then you can figure out if it's something you want to mess with or just cull for suspected pasturella.

I'd isolate her and watch her. Ladysown is right that the kits should be isolated separately if possible. If she starts blowing white or yellow snot, it might be best to cull her. If not, it may not be pasteurella... could just be an allergy. Spring brings with it all kinds of respiratory problems for animals and people. All the pollens, moulds and so forth in the air until things dry out and the trees and shrubs finish blooming... It's no wonder a lot of sneezing is going on.

That said, you cannot afford to ignore this! The health of all your rabbits is at risk if you do.

ladysown":3o2vdjpq said:
keep a really close eye on her. In fact if you could, isolate both mom and the litter separately. keep a good watch on both. if you see snot or messy front legs then you can figure out if it's something you want to mess with or just cull for suspected pasturella.
Thanks. I dont want to take a risk. I am going to cull the mother and watch the babies. I dont want this in my herd.

It says it isnt the major way of tranmitting it by airborne. I thought that was the way.

Are there any treatments for snuffles? Antibiotic treatments, vaccinations, etc? Or is it more cost effective to sacrifice one to save the herd...? Just wondering, since I am new to rabbits.

MaggieJ":1lllc8h8 said:
I'd isolate her and watch her. Ladysown is right that the kits should be isolated separately if possible. If she starts blowing white or yellow snot, it might be best to cull her. If not, it may not be pasteurella... could just be an allergy. Spring brings with it all kinds of respiratory problems for animals and people. All the pollens, moulds and so forth in the air until things dry out and the trees and shrubs finish blooming... It's no wonder a lot of sneezing is going on.

That said, you cannot afford to ignore this! The health of all your rabbits is at risk if you do.
Maybe as i didnt have any sneezing rabbits before. I was wondering why start now . But you are right. Spring is here and the leaves are coming out. Maybe i will wait and see. I already moved her. I left the babies in the same cage. Thanks again.

Diamond":25vss9s1 said:
Are there any treatments for snuffles? Antibiotic treatments, vaccinations, etc? Or is it more cost effective to sacrifice one to save the herd...? Just wondering, since I am new to rabbits.

I read it's a bacteria, so there is a drug for it. But some say the bacteria hides in the tiny folds in the nose and so it stays dormant.
I would think that with truly heavy treatment for long enough, the medicine laced blood would eventually reach these areas and cure the rabbit. But it may not be cost effective to even bother.
I haven't tried it yet, as all of mine if they do sneeze, it's always been pollen or pines causing the issue.

My rabbits sneeze sometimes, but it's always been allergies -- no snot, just sneezing. A couple of times I've thought their noses were wet from it, but it was clear and turned out to most likely be water. Sometimes, they've sneezed from getting water in their noses.

So far, my best doe was Pearl, and she sneezed relatively regularly. Just too much pollen around here, I guess. My other does don't sneeze as much, but the offspring of Squeak will usually have one in there that sneezes a bunch. No snot, though.

I know that it wasnt because she was drinking. But it can be allergies. As they are very close to cedar trees and i have lots of maple trees that the leaves are coming out and a very large liliac bush. I didnt have her last summer. As soon i see snot . She is a gonner.

OMG. i KNOW WHAT IT WAS......I started giving grains because i am switching over to natural feeding. I give grains first then pellets. When i moved mom thinking she had the snuffles. I went to go out and do my chores for the night. I looked at her she was very quite . Eat everything i gave her and water. I checked her nose to see if i can see any white snott. I seen a oat or maybe a barley under her nose.I think she had this up her nose and kept on sneezing to get it out. Her nose wasnt wet any more. So i put her back in with her babies. And feed them. Grains first. Everyone dived in along mom. Next you know she started sneezing again. It is the grains. I guess she gets them up her nose when she tried to eat them. bUT I AM STILL WATCHING HER. I will not jump to the gun ,next time i hear a rabbit sneeze. I almost culled her .I really dont want to wean the babies just yet if i dont have to. I dont have any rabbits sneezing so i was wondering what was going on. Just had to update this thread. Thanks everyone for reading and responding.

I had a doe who was sneezing the other day, then the snot started and labored breathing. I isolated her from the rest of the colony, including her 3 weeks old kits. I expected to find her dead the next morning, but o to my great delight she had stopped sneezing in her hutch and was breathing just fine.

We cleaned out the entire colony of old hay sticks and opened up all the burrows for ventilation. When I put her back in the colony, she sneezed a little bit, but it has decreased to just every once in a while with no more snot of heavy breathing.

I'm not sure what the real cause of it was, but I'm glad I did not jump to culling.

Diamond":p4sxw10y said:

There is an antibiotic that can be used, but it has to been given twice a day for a couple of weeks. Even then, all it usually does is suppress the symptoms and they come back after you stop the treatment. P. Multocida can live in the nasal passages and sinus cavities where there is little blood flow and the antibiotic cannot reach. I have tried treating, it did not work, and I ended up losing 24 rabbits, my entire herd over the course of three months. Since then, you sneeze...I watch you to see if you were eating/drinking/etc. If not and you sneeze repeatedly, you get isolated for a month. Any sign of snot, matted front legs, goopy eyes, you are on your way to freezer camp. No snot and the sneezing stops, then you get to stay.

Back