Please help identify the disease

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nyatka

Reaction score
Hello, please help me figure out what this disease is. My bunny has this on her nose and there is something funky on her toes as well. I noticed that another bunny of mine now starts showing something similar on his nose. Please help! Pictures attached.

Attachments

• 20230205_102430.jpg
    20230205_102430.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230205_102434.jpg
    20230205_102434.jpg
    1,000.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230206_090415.jpg
    20230206_090415.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230206_090437.jpg
    20230206_090437.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
That looks like it might be venereal spirochetosis, also known as rabbit syphilis, treponematosis, or vent disease (it's caused by a microorganism, the spirochete Treponema cuniculi). It is usually sexually transmitted, but can also be passed through contact with the lesions on another rabbit. It is probably apparent on their vent, but also causes breakouts on the nose, eyes, front legs, etc because of the way a rabbit cleans itself. There is also an unusual form in which crusty sores show up on the face or chin only, without any obvious infection in the genital area.

Rabbits in colonies have more of a problem with it since they are in constant contact with each other. Once you find it in one rabbit in a colony, you pretty much have to treat every rabbit, since it is very contagious and it does have remission periods when there are no symptoms. Breeders who raise rabbits in cages have less of a problem since the rabbits' interactions are more controlled. Usually if you find a rabbit with the infection, you know which of the other rabbits they've been in contact with (usually when they've been bred) that need to be treated.

Here are some images from MediRabbit where you can read more about it.
1675835966441.png1675836015564.png
1675846738835.png
Some other resources are
https://www.homesteadingtoday.com/threads/good-news-about-vent-disease.284191/http://www.hoppinherdofhares.com/ventdisease.html
If you decide that is what you are dealing with, you can get rabbit-safe penicillin Pen-G here:
https://www.allthingsbunnies.com/US-Vet-Masti-Clear-Go-Dry-Penicillin-G-Procaine-p/med123.htm

Last edited:
Took them to the vet, turned out to be mites.
Hope that's it, and they certainly could have mites, but the photos don't look like what I've seen in the rabbits with mites that I've dealt with. Those usually have the crustiness in their ears and/or at base of the neck/shoulders. Mites don't usually attack the nose and toes...?

I'd keep a close eye on them, and keep them away from other rabbits while you see if they respond to treatment for mites...actually it would be good to keep them away from rabbits if it is mites, too! :)

The vet gave them Revolution drops. Not sure how long I should wait for the drops to have effect. It's been two days and so far I don't see an improvement. I have desinfected their place, so that they don't get reinfected. How would I check for syphilis though?

The vet gave them Revolution drops. Not sure how long I should wait for the drops to have effect. It's been two days and so far I don't see an improvement. I have desinfected their place, so that they don't get reinfected. How would I check for syphilis though?
Revolution is a medicine usually prescribed for dogs and cats for various parasitic infestations (fleas, ear mites, ticks, heartworms, roundworms, mange). It would make sense that it would kill the types of mites rabbits get, as well. It is an off-label med for rabbits, but most meds are off-label for rabbits! :) If what your rabbits have is a mite infestation, the mites should be dead within a day or two of treatment, but scabs caused by scratching will take a while to heal. If the crusts continue to proliferate you can feel pretty sure it's not just mites (though a secondary infestation of mites could certainly occur on rabbits that are immunocompromised by a concurrent venereal disease).

If rabbits have a fur mite infestation (Cheyletiella parasitivorax), you should be able to actually see the mites. It's often called "walking dandruff" since the mites are whitish and once there are a lot of them they look like moving flakes of skin. Generally they're easiest to see along the back, especially in the shorter hair at the base of the neck.
1676340858860.png
1676340953108.png
https://gojackrabbitgo.com/fur-mites-in-rabbits/
If the rabbits have ear mites (Psoroptes cuniculiis) you can't see the mites themselves as they stay deep in the ears, but the rabbit will develop what looks like dirt inside the ear canal, which eventually grows into thick crusts that can fill the ear. I've found that rabbits that have one type of mite often have both (again, an immunocompromised animal is more likely to contract additional parasites/diseases).
1676340631372.png
Image from How to Treat Ear Mites in Rabbits (Naturally)

Treponematosis (aka vent disease, aka rabbit syphilis) can be deduced by its clinical signs, or positively diagnosed by dark-field microscopy, silver staining or serologic assays.

Here is some information from Diseases of Research Animals - DORA University of Missouri - Comparative Medicine Program

Clinical Signs: Subclinical infections are common. Cutaneous lesions may be present on external genitalia, anus, muzzle, and eyelids. Erythema, edema, and papules at mucocutaneous junctions are early lesions followed by ulcers with epidermal proliferation and crust formation. Lesions can persist for extended periods (>5 mo). Reluctance to breed and decreased reproductive efficiency may occur.

Diagnosis: Diagnosis can be confirmed by scraping the skin lesion and examining a wet-mount with dark-field microscopy for characteristic morphology (spirochetes measure 6-15 µm by 0.1-0.2 µm) and motility (longitudinal rotation and flexion). Lesions can be biopsied and the organism can be identified on silver-stained sections. Serologic assays using Treponema pallidum as the antigen may be used for diagnosis, PCR may also be used.

Ivermectin works very well for treating mange in rabbits and will also deal with some types of mites and other parasites. Ivermectin is commonly used more for treating various parasite issues in birds but will also work for rabbits.

Diatomaceous Earth is also very good at killing parasites just make sure you buy the food grade stuff and sprinkle it all around your rabbits living space and rub some in to it as well. It can be dusty and may make your rabbit sneeze at first but other than that its harmless and works as a natural anti parasite powder. Its also helps keep things clean and dry, keeps parasites and even insects away.

Ivermectin works very well for treating mange in rabbits and will also deal with some types of mites and other parasites. Ivermectin is commonly used more for treating various parasite issues in birds but will also work for rabbits.

Diatomaceous Earth is also very good at killing parasites just make sure you buy the food grade stuff and sprinkle it all around your rabbits living space and rub some in to it as well. It can be dusty and may make your rabbit sneeze at first but other than that its harmless and works as a natural anti parasite powder. Its also helps keep things clean and dry, keeps parasites and even insects away.
Yes, ivermectin works wonders on rabbit mites. However, there are some more natural alternatives that some like to try first, like olive or mineral oil in the ears for ear mites. I've never had that fail. Fur mites can be a little more difficult.

DE can be quite effective for fur mites, applied both to the fur and the hutch, but use care when putting it in their living space for too long or too often. Both rabbits and chickens can end up with respiratory issues if they inhale DE for extended periods. It's not a worry when applying it a few times a year after cleaning; it's more likely to be a problem when DE is constantly in the environment.

Thabks so much for all your comments, very appreciated. My bun is doing wonderful and the mange is clearing off. Unfortunately, my other bun is now having an issue. He is not eating, is heavily breathing with his head tipped up..what crap could that be now???

Latest posts

Back