PLEASE HELP. Bunny pregnant again??

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oando

Reaction score
So my doe gave birth to 4 healthy kits on dec. 18th. And the past few days my doe has been very grumpy, so I paplited her and felt lots of grape size lumps in her stomach, and am postive she is pregnant again. But How did she get pregnant again? It has only been 2 weeks since her last litter was born. I have not had her with my buck since she stated making a nest around dec 14 (there cages are right next to each other tho). Could they have mated through the cage? Will she forget about the other older kits when she has her new litter? What should I do?
Her first litter was not planned and I don't know what to do with more baby bunnies.

Rabbits will mate through wire. Rabbits can reproduce every 30 days, so Please place significant space between your buck and doe. Your doe will wean her first litter before she kindles again, but by 4 weeks they will be eating pellets and hay on their own. You can always add Quaker Old Fashioned Oatmeal to their food to help transition. A few days before she is due move the current babies to their own cage together It will be another month before you can safely sell the first litter at 8wks.

Oando":3nmz1t3j said:
So my doe gave birth to 4 healthy kits on dec. 18th. And the past few days my doe has been very grumpy, so I paplited her and felt lots of grape size lumps in her stomach, and am postive she is pregnant again. But How did she get pregnant again? It has only been 2 weeks since her last litter was born. I have not had her with my buck since she stated making a nest around dec 14 (there cages are right next to each other tho). Could they have mated through the cage? Will she forget about the other older kits when she has her new litter? What should I do?
Her first litter was not planned and I don't know what to do with more baby bunnies.

This happened to me recently. I had a doe (thought she was a buck-same coloring) outside in the yard with the boys.
I have a few bucks that run the yard and go into the pen at night. They get along.

Well, she was not a buck and one day I went out and found 4 2wk old kits in a ball in the hay.
Apparently, they were in a tunnel. I never saw them until they came out. Eyes all open. Cute as can be :)
I scoped all of them up, with the doe, and bought them into the house.

Two weeks later, 5 more were born.
She made a racket that night and we went to see whats up ... they were all cleaned and healthy.
I removed the 4 week olds, and put them in the cage next to mama.
All is fine. But I won't make that mistake again :shock:
Since they were eating pellets already I kept some in there, but they always had oatmeal and hay too.

Since both litters have harli kits, I know who the sire is.
Thank goodness.

Since both litters have harli kits, I know who the sire is.
Thank goodness.

not if more than one carries the harlequin gene. :)

But seriously... move the buck and doe at least two inches apart cage wise if possible, or get some coroplast and put that up between them.

You can either move the kits, or better, move the doe to a new cage for kindling. But move all the kits at once.

Hi,

I'm quite impressed that you can palpate a nursing doe at 2 weeks - I simply lack that palpating ability completly, my does hate me trying anyway, and I have the notion that nursing does especially don't like me touching their bellys. And even when I tried I couldn't feel anything (besides teeth, claws and a very pissed off bunny) :oops:
2 1/2 Weeks - are they already starting to venture out and harass the doe? Would explain why she seems grumpy ;)
Although rabbits can breed through wire I thought that's rather rare.

Anyway, the chances that she is pregnant are definitly there, so better save than sorry.
I had it happen once last year that a doe was bred right after kindling, seperated them somewhat late, at day 29 or 30 when there was a mood change and nesting behaviour. She had only 2 kits then, which in growth soon caught up with the previous litter.
mishap-doe-maybe-bred-after-kindling-t24974.html

Latest posts

Back