planting mulberries

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rainey

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
We want to get some mulberry trees started this spring to add to our natural feed for our rabbits (and goats, chickens, pigs). Anyone here who has bought them through the mail and can recommend a seller--we're in New York, mid-state. Also would appreciate any advice on planting. I understand they can be hard to get started but then cope well. As usual I'm seeing contradictory information about soil type, sun/shade and hope to learn what I can from someone else's mistakes--or success. Thanks.

I have grown them in clay, and sand, - I have ordered seed, and started that way, and also bought little trees, I think the animals do better on the white mulberry leaves, then they did on the black, -- but-- they all were great feed for everything, "including escargot".

just make a mound about 12 to 16 inches high about 4 feet wide, plant in the center, make sure that it slopes away from the tree,-I bought 1/2 inch caliper trees,- I put about 6 inches of tree trimmer wood chips over the hump area-I put drip emitters about 2 feet from the tree trunk-- they grew great, in Red Bluff Ca. red clay- once they were established, [about 3 years to 15 feet tall],they were almost "bullet proof"

Has anyone here dried mulberry branches for winter feed? We did that with willow this year and they dried well and are eaten with enthusiasm. If we can do the same with mulberries I'll want to plant more than I would for just feeding during the growing season.

Rainey":1bxw25ep said:
Has anyone here dried mulberry branches for winter feed? We did that with willow this year and they dried well and are eaten with enthusiasm. If we can do the same with mulberries I'll want to plant more than I would for just feeding during the growing season.

I don't have any mulberry trees, so I can't speak from first-hand experience, but you can dry almost anything for rabbits as long as it is not too fleshy. Some types of trees hold their leaves better than others, but even if they drop during the drying they could still be fed. I have often dried large quantities of willow in a sling made from an old bed-sheet. Cotton is better than synthetic because it breathes better. I tied a knot in each corner and zip-tied the knots to nails in the wall. This method lets you retrieve and feed any leaves that fall during drying.

You might find useful information in this study:
http://www.pjbs.org/pjnonline/fin312.pdf

MaggieJ":2d42yd7g said:
I don't have any mulberry trees, so I can't speak from first-hand experience, but you can dry almost anything for rabbits as long as it is not too fleshy. Some types of trees hold their leaves better than others, but even if they drop during the drying they could still be fed. I have often dried large quantities of willow in a sling made from an old bed-sheet. Cotton is better than synthetic because it breathes better. I tied a knot in each corner and zip-tied the knots to nails in the wall. This method lets you retrieve and feed any leaves that fall during drying.

You might find useful information in this study:
http://www.pjbs.org/pjnonline/fin312.pdf

Thanks, Maggie. I wondered how the larger leaf size and the fruit would affect drying of the mulberry branches. Probably they should be harvested and dried before flowering or fruiting. We just gathered willow branches, tied them in bunches and hung them in an outbuilding with good ventilation. They kept very well, held their leaves. The rabbits eat the leaves and most eat up all the woody part as well--seems to be a preferred food. Larger leaves that we dried--comfrey and burdock--had some problems with mold or rotting. Stinging nettles and raspberry canes also dried well--saving more of those for when we start breeding again.
Thanks for the link for the study--looked at that before--got me started thinking about planting some mulberries.

Latest posts

Back