Plant ID please

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I couldn't logon for a couple of days :( so did not get back to you Maggie. In the meanwhile my friend saw the plants and tells me that they are horehound. I looked them up and they definitely look like the picture of Marrubium vulgare in wikipedia. It says they are "highly unpalatable" to livestock. They do taste bitter. Doesn't look like they would be harmful though. The article even mentions that they have antimicrobial and anticancer properties, antidiabetic, antimicrobial anti-atherogenic and anti-inflammatory properties. Maybe I should try some myself :)

I did wonder if the plant might be horehound... which is why I asked about the smell. I doubt it will be of much use to the rabbits, but it is excellent medicine when you have a cough or cold. Dry some to use for a medicinal tea (it is bitter, so will need sweetening) or make horehound candy to suck for a sore throat. A time-honoured remedy and there are plenty of recipes on the Internet.

Latest posts

Back