Place Settings - How do you decide?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-HRanchito

Reaction score
I have several two-stackers, and to start out, I put my bucks in one stack, and a mother/daughter pair of does in each of two other stacks. I wasn't really thinking about it then, but I recently swapped one doe from bottom to top to hopefully assuage her new-rabbitry-anxiety. Maybe it's working, I don't know! I feel like I should have thought it out better so everyone has a good conversation partner.

So, for you guys with cage setups, how do you arrange the rabbits, and why?

Doe, buck, doe, buck, doe.

I do this so that I don't handle a buck straight after another buck, nor a doe straight after another doe. I think it keeps down the attitude with hormonal does and the raging hormones of the bucks :lol:

All I know is that I haven't been bitten lately, nor has anyone threatened to bite :D

JUst yesterday, I re-arranged them-- I am down to 4 buns-- two bucks, two does--
Oddly, as it turned out this time, the does are in the inside, and the bucks on the outside of the row.reason-- I tried pairing them up for breeding, and one buck was just a bit 'timid'. So now, he is on an end, with 'his' lady next to him, then the other lady, then the second buck. Then, since the bank is 5 cages-- the last cage is storage of some daily use supplies-- Which buck went where is based on the need to prevent sunburning the coats, and the need to keep a darker doe way form the sun, as well. The empty cage is on the east end, so thathelps keep sun away from the Castor Buck--
The arrangement provides answers to a several little issues I have...

I have them separated by breed, with all of my bucks on one side (the bachelor quarters) juniors and grow outs on the bottom, and does with litters on the top. Mainly the does with litters and small kits on the top, because I don't want mice to have easy access to get into the cages with nest boxes and small kits in them.

Ours are stacked, with does on top and bucks on the bottom. I did that primarily to make it easier to get the does into the bucks' cages for breeding.

I have bucks all on one side and will have does/litters/growouts on the other side and the middle two rows...

We 'try' to keep the bucks in the bottom row... especially in the summer... i figure it is a tiny bit cooler there...

Does with litters i prefer to be in the top row... i dislike having the 'above' neighbor possibly soiling down into the nest box.

Definite fryers, the ones we Know will not be kept,.....tend to end up wherever there is room....

I have two tiers of 12 cages, for a total of 24. Does are on top in cages 30" deep, bucks and prospective "keepers" are on the bottom tier in cages 24" deep. I designed my bunnybarn with help from Bob Bennet's book Storey's Guide to Raising Rabbits, and it is his belief that being lower keeps the bucks a little bit cooler, which will (hopefully) help with fertility in hot weather.

Latest posts

Back