Pinched hips, how early can you identify this?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiny Buns

Reaction score
Just wondering how soon pinched hips are visible? As kits? As juniors?

I start checking at 3 weeks, obvious bad ones you can tell that early and even not so bad ones can tell that early. Pinched hq is not some thing that changes, no matter the age. However, there's little reason to really look at them earlier unless you have a way to term cull that early and purpose....

Anyone got a pic of a 8week old with pinched hips? Can't remember if that's the V shaped hind legs when you pick them up by the scruff.

I've wondered about this too. When trying to evaluate youngsters that haven't been handled much, to figure out who goes to freezer camp and who might grow into a good breeder, they kick a lot when flipped over. That makes sexing them and checking for pinched hips challenging. Is there a way to evaluate for pinched hips when the rabbit is right side up?

Normally not checked by scruffing them ZRab. I've never done it scruffed before....

I will have to see if I have some youngster pictures yet, have never thought to take any specifically for that as its some thing I just check for and go on about business. You can set them up and feel, pinched/poor hq will feel boxy and bony as well as when you start at the shoulders and come down over the rabbits hq you'll catch on what I call the hips (top part of legs). You should go smoothly from front to back without catching. The more severe, the more you catch. <br /><br /> -- Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:33 pm -- <br /><br /> V is pinched, now how wide they are apart will determine if also poor width. 2 finger widths is OK, can vary. Usually the wider the better (within proportion with the rabbit of course). Plus thick legs and good furred pads on feet.

Rainey":3484hl4k said:
Is there a way to evaluate for pinched hips when the rabbit is right side up?

Yes. Pose them as best as you can and then run your thumb and forefinger LIGHTLY along either side of the loin and down to the tail. If the rabbit is pinched your fingers will come closer together as you near the tail, forming the outline of a V from loin to tail.

I cannot stress enough to use a light touch- your fingers should just glide over the surface of the rabbit. Do not squeeze the flesh.

Latest posts

Back