Piggie update

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

currituckbun

Reaction score
I processed all 15 today. The 9 week old mixed Silver Fox/Cali/NZW weighed in at an average of 5 1/2 lbs with an average dress out of 2 3/4 . The Cali/NZW mixed were 10 weeks and came in at an average of 51/2 lbs with an average of 2 1/2 dressout weight. There was a much bigger discrepancy of weights with the Cali/NZW mix two were over 6 lbs and some were just 41/2.
I am pooped. I have concluded that the silver fox mix is a very nice meat rabbit. I saved two does and plan on breeding back to the buck. I realize that the first gen are usually the best but I am curious to see if the 3/4 will also perform well. :1pig:

Whoa- busy day! I can see one of those for me in the not-so-distant future! Once you've rested up a bit, perhaps you have some tips to share for streamlining the process with so many?

Besides my left hand killing me, I am glad I got it all done in one day. Today is just nasty out and tonight it is supposed to freeze up again. No more rabbits are outside in the grow out cages. Anything to avoid using crocks again. :)
I used KainanRa's method on YouTube to process. He shows you how to do the whole thing with a pair of scissors. It was easy and fast. I have done it before and used his method. I reviewed it yesterday and the only thing I do differently is that I use the crutch to dispatch my rabbits and I bleed mine immediately.
Good luck on your next processing day. I hope you don't have as many at once as I did. It was too many in one day but I was racing the weather.
Wish I had the set up Oneacre has. That would sure beat outside sitting on a milk crate.

You will likely lose some of the growth if you breed the ones you kept. That being said, I am sure they will make great meat rabbits anyway, just maybe not as quickly.

Latest posts

Back