Pictures of my colony...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanaYares

Reaction score
Here is a picture from above of my outside rabbit colony!

The left side is where all the breeding happens and kits are born, and the right side is where the juniors go after they are about 6 weeks... Right now I have 27 babies!!!

Attachments

• rsz_rabbit_colony.jpg
    rsz_rabbit_colony.jpg
    391.7 KB · Views: 1,518
Wow!!! :p

That looks incredible! I love how the tree trunks are going through the roof! There is something so charming about rusted metal roofing/siding too- I always eye it covetously when passing some of the older ranches around here... ours is still shiny and new. :( You have lots of great hidey holes in there for them too- you must have very happy bunnies, indeed!

Nice raised bed planters and gravel paths too- you have a lovely yard. :)

The things on the ends are kindling tunnels that double as benches. There is nothing that I love more than to sit out with my rabbits and drink a beer at the end of the day!!!

They can either burrow to kindle or use the tunnels.

Beautiful. What are the dimentions, how many does are in there and what kind of bottom do you have so they don't dig out?

The dimensions of the right side where the does and buck are is 8'x14'. There is no bottom, but it is retained by a 2' front and right side wall. The interior hight is 6' so you can comfortably stand up. We took a chance that the redwood roots would retain them in the back, and so far that has worked. They did dig under the front wall last year, but I installed a 2' wide armored path and they haven't dug out since.

I have 3 does and one buck in the breeding side of the colony, and 11 juniors on the other side. There are 17 babies (under 5 weeks) in with the does and buck, with 2 of the does pregnant again... Yikes!

The left side of the colony where the juniors are has 2"x4" wire on the bottom covered with soil, so there is no digging allowed on that side. Instead, I built wooden hiding holes for them which they really like.

I plan on putting the buck in the junior side for a while to give the does a break after this next round of kits.

If you're interested in seeing more specific details, I'll be glad to send you more pictures.

Thats an excellent setup! I'm an newbie and currently have mine separated in cages. I'm thinking that a setup similar to a colony would be best for me, please forgive my lame question but do you frequently enter the colony? I would think that if a person enters the setup frequently that the rabbits would not be as skittish and would be easier to catch (to sell or just examine),

I would love to see some more pictures of some details in the colony. Love it! That's the kind of colony setup I would want with maybe a small "bachelor pad" for the buck.

I am in the colony all the time, and I often just go out, sit with the rabbits, and handle them. They are not skittish and quite easy to catch... usually at feeding time.

The buck is in the left "wing" right now with the 12 weeks olds. We're giving the does a little break. He's not very happy about it, but it's best to keep him in contact with the does to that there is not a lot of fighting and territorial squabbling when we put them all together again... There is a wire fence between the two sections.

I'll take more pics!

I also love your setup! I have a question about colonies--What do you do in the winter, especially if you get a lot of snow??? I've thought about the colony set up, but we typically will have 2-4 feet of snow in the winter....

How much pen cleaning is needed with that much space. Do you rake it out. That much space with that few rabbits, i am just wondering about what if anything you do about manure

Back