Pics of my raisin makers

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craneman54

Reaction score
I bought a camera for my wife for Christmas so I thought I would try it out to make sure it worked OK before Christmas morning. Please keep in mind I know less than nothing about taking pics so I have the camera on auto.
010_zpsee2c12fa.jpg
Buck 1

009_zps0a2066df.jpg
Doe 1

007_zpsaa27d4d9.jpg
Doe 2's kits

005_zps55dfe69f.jpg
Doe 1's kits. There are actually 3 kits in the nest box.

Thanks fur lookin. :lol:

Thanks everyone.

Miss M that doe and the one in the next cage start running around and thumping if I pass by them and don't give them each some petting and scratching. :lol:

I tried to get a pic of some kits that are a little older but they kept running around playing in the cage,so I couldn't get a decent pic of all 6 of them.

Miss M is that what they call the color of the buck I posted. I know the lighting sucks. All the kits I posted are from him. Not a broken one in the bunch.
All are either white with some light black on the ears,tail and feet, or pure black. With the exception of a tanish colored one.

I tried to take a pic of it but it turned it's head. Dang hard headed wabbits. :lol:

This is the tan one.

008_zps87a6d2b5.jpg

OH and here is a pic of Goldie my golden lab. She loves attention also.

011_zps7290b985.jpg

__________ Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:05 pm __________

Till I start getting meat from them that's all they are "Raisin makers". :D

I didn't realize I had misspelled Raisin in the title. :rant: :wall:

Your Lab is beautiful, Just look at those eyes so expressive.....You can almost see her thinking "Hey,dad,I'm the photogenic one...Why ya taking pictures of those little fur-balls for?' :lol:

craneman54":27an98wj said:
Miss M is that what they call the color of the buck I posted. I know the lighting sucks.
Yeah, lighting's not good on that one, but it looks like a Champagne d'Argent (or Argente Champagne) -- that would be the breed, not actually the name of the color. The Champagnes are all that color, then there are other varieties of d'Argents: Creme d'Argent (or Argente Creme), Argente Brun, Argente Bleu, Argente St. Hubert, and Argente Noir. And Argente Clair. But yours looks like a Champagne. :) Champagnes are born black, and then develop silvering over time. The other d'Argents do the same -- they are born brown, or orange, or blue, etc., and develop silvering over time.

Not a broken one in the bunch.
If I'm not mistaken, one of the parents must be broken in order for you to get broken kits. I don't know if it's possible for a Californian, as an albino, to be hiding broken.

Your doe in that one picture appears to be a Californian. Like the Champagnes, all Californians look like that -- white, with "points" (nose, ears, feet, and tail all dark), much like a Siamese cat. There are other breeds that can produce the same look, but yours is probably a Californian. Like I said above, Californians are an albino breed, but there is a temperature-influenced gene for their fur. Fur on the warmer parts of the body will be white, while fur on cooler parts (the points, or extremities) will be black or very dark brown. If a litter of Californians is chilled before they grow fur, they will usually have a frosty look to their fur, because they will have dark hairs interspersed throughout the white. I have a litter like that right now, in fact. When they molt, they will lose the frosty look. Sometimes in summer -- if it is hot enough at the right time -- they will completely lose all their color and become completely white! In winter, they might develop dark fur in other places -- like the doe's dewlap, where it touches the wire floor, or they may develop "eyebrows". Those will disappear in warmer weather.

The tannish colored one is probably red. :)

OH and here is a pic of Goldie my golden lab. She loves attention also.
She looks really sweet! :)

Till I start getting meat from them that's all they are "Raisin makers". :D
Keep in mind, those raisins are gardening gold!

Californians are a commercial meat breed, and Champagnes are a heritage meat breed (one of the oldest rabbit breeds out there).

Yes the Doe is Cali, I thought the Buck was also. Thanks for the explanation. I will try and get a better pic of the buck and maybe you or someone can give a better I.D. of him.

I will use some of the raisins for my pecan trees but I don't garden. I was hoping to sell or even give away the raisins but this time of year I can't find anyone that wants them.

craneman54":2nth0py3 said:
Yes the Doe is Cali, I thought the Buck was also. Thanks for the explanation. I will try and get a better pic of the buck and maybe you or someone can give a better I.D. of him.
You're welcome... I wasn't sure how much info you wanted or needed, so I just stuck it all out there! :p

It is possible that the buck is a Cali cross. :hmm:

craneman54":2nth0py3 said:
I will use some of the raisins for my pecan trees but I don't garden. I was hoping to sell or even give away the raisins but this time of year I can't find anyone that wants them.
Wow... sounds like your locals don't know the value of bunny berries! If you can hold on to them until spring (pack them back in the food bags, maybe), you might have a demand then. :)

It is possible that the buck is a Cali cross. :hmm:

Yes it is very possible he is mixed. I don't know how big Champagnes get but this one is a little smaller than my Cali buck.

Wow... sounds like your locals don't know the value of bunny berries! If you can hold on to them until spring (pack them back in the food bags, maybe), you might have a demand then.

I have been saving them in the food bags. I have several already full. I would be out there filling another food sack if it wasn't raining.

BTW my dog likes to eat the raisins. They shouldn't harm her if she eats some when I spread them under the trees would it?

craneman54":am1o3jtz said:
Yes it is very possible he is mixed. I don't know how big Champagnes get but this one is a little smaller than my Cali buck.
Champagnes and Calis would be about the same size generally, allowing for some variation.

craneman54":am1o3jtz said:
BTW my dog likes to eat the raisins. They shouldn't harm her if she eats some when I spread them under the trees would it?
Not as far as I know. I've heard of them eating rabbit poop and pretty much any other poop. :sick:

Back