Picked up the wool.....

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tm_bunnyloft

Reaction score
I drove the 2 hours each way and picked up the wool. The lady has 16 shetland sheep and 1 llama. Today I picked up 10 bags weighing 85 pounds and she said that she has another 10 bags buried in her garage under a bunch of stuff she is storing for a friend. When she gets it unearthed I get that and also all of the wool when she shears this year as well. Holy Cow am I gonna be busy with wool...

I will be getting a spinning wheel in the next month or so, and hopefully a carder soon after. Can you imagine trying to hand card all of that wool into little rolags? I'll pass.

I'll start washing it and hanging it to dry, one bag at a time, later this week. Then I will be able to start dying some of it and such after that. Thinking I'm gonna use wiltons icing color to dye it. There is also a bunch of black wool too. Wondering if there is much point in trying to dye that anything other than black?

Here it is all piled up in the basement waiting for me....
2013-01-19_16-34-10_370_zps5f26d537.jpg

There wont be any shortage of scarves, mittens, and sweaters in your house!

It all depends on who is spinning and if they are using a wheel or drop spindle. I am getting a wheel hopefully in February. It will take a while to clean and card all of that and its kinda chilly in the basement right now so no huge hurry.

:O wanna trade for some raw mohair? :D i'm about feeling like i'm drowning in it.
its nice... i just get bored of it... same thing all the time.

It definitely needs to be cleaned of vegitablethe matter but hey its free so I'm surely not complaining.
Monday I'll open up the bags and see just what I've got here. Can't wait to get the rest.
I am definitely open to trades. :)

Buy the carder first!! Cant spin until you have rovings!!!

Mix the black in with other natural colors to get different shades.

There is a local Alpaca breeder here, who makes her own yarn, and on the finished products, labels the source, as in, "The fiber for this scarf, hat, was made possible by Lady, Luna, Moonshine.".Etc/ She has some tags with only one name on them, some will include almost the whole herd.

tm_bunnyloft":2u99zqkf said:
It all depends on who is spinning and if they are using a wheel or drop spindle. I am getting a wheel hopefully in February. It will take a while to clean and card all of that and its kinda chilly in the basement right now so no huge hurry.

How about selling some of that wool to fund the new wheel? Or work out a trade with someone that has one for sale? :)

I have some roving here waiting to be spun. And I can hand comb for spinning as well. I did that with some of the romney wool I got. It works really well. I will be starting to clean and wash the wool tomorrow. Feel free to come by and help. :p

Funny thing.... I was planning to mix in angora but never thought to mix the white brown and black for different effects. Thanks for the tip. :D<br /><br />__________ Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:56 pm __________<br /><br />I started cleaning the wool and Its amazing how it cleans up so nice. I am going to be making a skirting table soon and then I will really get to work on that wool. I am also looking into a spinning wheel and hand carders.

Oh and my precious little Angora babies are coming home on the 17th from the looks of things. I am so excited about that. They are so sweet because the breeders son spoils them and plays with them all the time. I can't wait.

ohiogoatgirl":r8bwrjat said:
:O wanna trade for some raw mohair? :D i'm about feeling like i'm drowning in it.

You have mohair? I'm looking for some to blend with my angora.<br /><br />__________ Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:35 pm __________<br /><br />
OneAcreFarm":r8bwrjat said:
tm_bunnyloft":r8bwrjat said:

How about selling some of that wool to fund the new wheel? Or work out a trade with someone that has one for sale? :)

A couple ounces on Ebay, Etsy...

We are expecting a nice tax refund and I will be buying a wheel when that comes in as well as hand carders, and all sorts of other goodies. :)

Once I get a skirting table set up I will be able to get this wool cleaned up fairly quickly. I hope....... Its a dirty job but needs to be done.

skysthelimit":1ob09iye said:
ohiogoatgirl":1ob09iye said:

You have mohair? I'm looking for some to blend with my angora.

yep. i have raw white. it take some cleanin but makes nice yarn.

Latest posts

Back