People are too far removed...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'd probably have to explain that to me as well, though I think in my case it would just be a matter of terminology.

It could be that is what threw them off as well. "Bone Broth" is "stock" done in such a way as to pull collagen, amino acids, and minerals out of the bones and into the water. The result are bones that disintegrate and a broth that jells like jello when chilled. They thought the bones were still in the broth...no, just all their goodness...

The broth is used like you would stock and also drank as a healing beverage in diets like GAPS and Nourishing Traditions. I've gotten quite addicted to it over the past 8 days...I drink it for mid-morning and mid-afternoon pick-me-ups.

Hmmm You've reminded me how my Mom used to make turkey bone soup after the holidays or chicken bone soup whenever. Yummmm. Deeelicious! :)

AmysMacdog":29dupo3e said:
Hmmm You've reminded me how my Mom used to make turkey bone soup after the holidays or chicken bone soup whenever. Yummmm. Deeelicious! :)

Yep, previous generations made use of all parts of an animal (or as many as possible) and broth/stock made from the bones was a great way to add important nutrients to the diet and be frugal as well.

I boil all my leftover bones (regardless of what they are) and leftover bits of veg. I toss my onion ends, celery ends, some carrot shavings, and leftover roasted chicken bones, beef bones, etc and make a big pot of stock every now and again. I cook it till the cows come home. It sets like jello when it cools. So does that mean I'm making bone broth? lol

I use it as the base for all my soups and stews.

dayna":cvpc0s13 said:
I boil all my leftover bones (regardless of what they are) and leftover bits of veg. I toss my onion ends, celery ends, some carrot shavings, and leftover roasted chicken bones, beef bones, etc and make a big pot of stock every now and again. I cook it till the cows come home. It sets like jello when it cools. So does that mean I'm making bone broth? lol

I use it as the base for all my soups and stews.

Yep, you are making bone broth! :p

LOL, I guess that's good then! I just don't like to waste anything. So I try my hardest to get as many meals/nutrition out of my food as possible.

Anytime I have enough bones I make a large pot of stock and can it (in my pressure canner). It makes wonderful gravy, and when my guts are inflamed it's pretty much the only food I can handle.

OH. I never let it cook long enough for all the bones to disintegrate, but enough that the broth gels afterwards.

I've made chicken stock and beef stock for...ah...years. I've never heard the term "bone broth" until today. I use the bones of whatever fowl(s) I've set aside, plus carrots/celery/parsnip--no onions anymore b/c I often share rice or such with my dogs--and add a few bay leaves. Simmer the thing for hours. The stock always sets up as a gel.

I'd've been puzzled, too, about "bone broth," even though I've used nothing but my own homemade stock for soup since my 21st birthday.

I've never heard of bone both until now, I will admit. I mean, we've boiled bones until the leftover meat falls off and make a broth, like chicken broth, and add noodles, but I've never cooked it so long they turn to jello. Sounds odd. What does it taste like - jello chicken ? :p

Over the holidays when whole turkey was .59 a pound we bought 6 and split them all up (wings, legs, sliced breast, ground meat) to vac seal and freeze. I took the leftover carcasses and made turkey stock which I later canned. It NEVER gelled up. None of my broth ever has. I don't get what I'm doing wrong. I simmered one batch for 24+ hours, no gel.

Try putting a splash or two (or to be more exact, a tablespoon or two) of vinegar in the water with the bones and don't start cooking for an hour. The vinegar is said to pull more of the minerals and collagen out of the bones and it cooks off so your broth will not end up tasting like vinegar. Gel or no, it is still good for you...the gel just serves as a sign that you got a lot of collagen out of the bones.

I also find that if I pressure can the broth, it no longer gels....but broth from chicken that is pressure cooked does gel....go figure.

Latest posts

Back