penny wort and celandine

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julz

Reaction score
Hi does any one know if either of these plants have been used for natural feeding for rabbits as theres loads of it growing here(ireland) right now....i come across a lot of plants not recorded to be rabbit food and often feel i should just try them with it myself but it would be too much for me to risk if the plants were toxic.

MaggieJ":fqbxmbea said:
By penny wort, do you mean this plant?

http://invasivespeciesireland.com/most- ... -pennywort

Apparently, worldwide, there are several unrelated plants referred to as pennywort. This is why we need to use botanical (Latin) names to identify plants.

And again... which celandine?

This one? http://botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/c/celgre43.html#par

Hi MaggieJ hard to tell from the marsh penny wort picture it seems to grow on walls locally as opposed to the blanketed description i hope its not another invasive plant of ireland as we have already a plague of japenese knotweed and gunnera!
i found a toadflax with a reference stating it being named 'rabbits' and pennywort but i dont think its what im trying to identify.
and its Ranunculus ficaria (Linn)/lesser celandine thats growing here.

Julz":3fnubp97 said:
often feel i should just try them with it myself but it would be too much for me to risk if the plants were toxic.

I don't recall what purpose you raise your rabbits for, but I raise primarily for meat. I will often use a "test bunny" that is destined for the freezer anyway to test new plants. Give a very small amount the first day and gradually increase the amount over several days, watching for any adverse effects.

Also keep in mind that some plants have to be ingested over a long period of time before the toxicity reaches dangerous levels.

If you are feeding a wide variety of weeds and plants, the rabbits will pick and choose what they need the most, and will adjust their intake of plants with medicinal or toxic properties.

I don't think I would feed Lesser Celandine to rabbits. It is a member of the buttercup family and there are toxicity issues.

Medicines should be made from the dried herb or by heat extraction as the plant contains protoanemonin, a mild toxin. A single case was reported with acute hepatitis after consuming a remedy made from Lesser Celandine. [4] However, the process of heating or drying turns the toxin to anemonin which is non-toxic and has antispasmodic and analgesic properties.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lesser_celandine

Faunal Associations: Little is known about floral-faunal relationships for this species in North America, although it is probably similar to other moisture-loving Ranunculus spp. (buttercups). The early-blooming flowers are cross-pollinated primarily by small bees, flies, and beetles. Both nectar and pollen are available as floral rewards to such visitors. Two leaf beetles are reported to feed on the foliage of buttercups: Prasocuris ovalis and Prasocuris vittata (Clark et al., 2004). The aphids Thecabius affinis and Thecabius gravicornis also suck on the sap of these plants during the summer (Cranshaw, 2004; Hottes & Frison, 1931). Among birds, the seeds and young foliage of buttercups are eaten to a minor extent by such gamebirds as the Wood Duck, Ruffed Grouse, Wild Turkey, and Ring-Necked Pheasant; the seeds are a minor source of food to such songbirds as the Mourning Dove and Snow Bunting. Among mammals, the young foliage is eaten to a limited extent by the Muskrat and Cottontail Rabbit, while the seeds are eaten by the Meadow Vole and Pine Mouse (Martin et al., 1951/1961; Lewis, 1993). Some turtles also reportedly feed on these plants (Lagler, 1943). The mature foliage, roots, and tubers of Lesser Celandine, however, are quite toxic because they contain a blistering agent that can irritate the gastrointestinal tract. If the foliage is dried out or subjected to heat, its toxicity is reduced or eliminated.
http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/wee ... ndine.html

MamaSheepdog":ebrg4v3y said:
Julz":ebrg4v3y said:
often feel i should just try them with it myself but it would be too much for me to risk if the plants were toxic.

I don't recall what purpose you raise your rabbits for, but I raise primarily for meat. I will often use a "test bunny" that is destined for the freezer anyway to test new plants. Give a very small amount the first day and gradually increase the amount over several days, watching for any adverse effects.

Also keep in mind that some plants have to be ingested over a long period of time before the toxicity reaches dangerous levels.

If you are feeding a wide variety of weeds and plants, the rabbits will pick and choose what they need the most, and will adjust their intake of plants with medicinal or toxic properties.
Thanks MSD, that was helpful, I am raising them for meat too, i have found the most interesting observation on watching them feed is that they will always leave scraps given to us by others who do not buy or grow organic i guess im spoiling them a bit but yes they do feed a wide variety of plants. I also guess we all have to start somewhere when plants are not recorded to be 'safe' for rabbits and thankyou for the details on how to use a 'test bunny' thats great.<br /><br />__________ Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:01 pm __________<br /><br />
MaggieJ":ebrg4v3y said:
I don't think I would feed Lesser Celandine to rabbits. It is a member of the buttercup family and there are toxicity issues.

Medicines should be made from the dried herb or by heat extraction as the plant contains protoanemonin, a mild toxin. A single case was reported with acute hepatitis after consuming a remedy made from Lesser Celandine. [4] However, the process of heating or drying turns the toxin to anemonin which is non-toxic and has antispasmodic and analgesic properties.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lesser_celandine

Faunal Associations: Little is known about floral-faunal relationships for this species in North America, although it is probably similar to other moisture-loving Ranunculus spp. (buttercups). The early-blooming flowers are cross-pollinated primarily by small bees, flies, and beetles. Both nectar and pollen are available as floral rewards to such visitors. Two leaf beetles are reported to feed on the foliage of buttercups: Prasocuris ovalis and Prasocuris vittata (Clark et al., 2004). The aphids Thecabius affinis and Thecabius gravicornis also suck on the sap of these plants during the summer (Cranshaw, 2004; Hottes & Frison, 1931). Among birds, the seeds and young foliage of buttercups are eaten to a minor extent by such gamebirds as the Wood Duck, Ruffed Grouse, Wild Turkey, and Ring-Necked Pheasant; the seeds are a minor source of food to such songbirds as the Mourning Dove and Snow Bunting. Among mammals, the young foliage is eaten to a limited extent by the Muskrat and Cottontail Rabbit, while the seeds are eaten by the Meadow Vole and Pine Mouse (Martin et al., 1951/1961; Lewis, 1993). Some turtles also reportedly feed on these plants (Lagler, 1943). The mature foliage, roots, and tubers of Lesser Celandine, however, are quite toxic because they contain a blistering agent that can irritate the gastrointestinal tract. If the foliage is dried out or subjected to heat, its toxicity is reduced or eliminated.
http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/wee ... ndine.html
Ok will stay clear of this one thanks for the links and sound advise Maggiej :)

Latest posts

Back