Pellet gun for dispatch

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carebear

Reaction score
Hi all! Dh and I have a pistol bb gun we were planning on using for dispatch. It is a Smith and Wesson .177 caliber, takes steel bb's or pellets, is powered by a co2 cartridge, and has a velocity of 360 fps. Will this do the trick for AmChins?
A friend suggested we use our little .22 pistol that takes short rounds. Pros and cons of either? Any advice from you all would be much appreciated!

I'd think that the .177 would be a better tool than the .22 because it's much safer to use. A .22 could be harmful or fatal to bystanders if you're not careful.

Personally, I used the flat part of a hatchet to hit the fryer behind the head when I was raising meat rabbits years ago. Quick and painless and no worries about a glancing shot wounding the little critter. I don't like to cause pain to any animal if it can be avoided.

<edit> P.S. - I'm not against guns, so please don't get me wrong. I'm a hunter, but a firearm just seems like overkill for a fryer. It's only an opinion though. </edit>

I would highly recommend NOT using the 360fps pellet gun for dispatch. I have a pellet rifle that shoots 500 fps with .17 cal pellets and I feel it is to light for dispatch. It will knock them out but then you will need to cut the throat or use blunt force trauma to finish the job. If you feel you must use a gun for dispatch I would use the .22 and load it with these http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product. ... tId=740346

Our first time around we are nervous about botching the job. DH said he'd do the deed as long as they don't scream. I fear for our aim with a club, especially if we are nervous, so .22 it will be. DH is setting up a backstop in the garage so no chance of richocet if the .22 goes thru.
Thanks for your thoughts, I really want a clean dispatch.

Our pellet gun can shoot pellets at 725fps. We pump it 7 times instead of 10, and it does great. I'm not sure what our resulting fps is, though.

Please don't attempt to dispatch with the bb gun. :x I will be using .22 short sub sonics but I will be using a purpose made pad to capture the round after it passes thru. There have been lots of discussion on RT about this with lots of model numbers and and specs.

carebear":10lhngts said:
Our first time around we are nervous about botching the job. DH said he'd do the deed as long as they don't scream. I fear for our aim with a club, especially if we are nervous, so .22 it will be. DH is setting up a backstop in the garage so no chance of richocet if the .22 goes thru.
Thanks for your thoughts, I really want a clean dispatch.

Around here, .22 ammo is super expensive and hard to get. I use hollow point hunting pellets and our pellet guns are not super fancy or expensive. They belong to my kids.

Latest posts

Back