Pellet extruder?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schipperkesue

Reaction score
I have been toying with the idea of making my own pellets for feed. It seems that it may not be financially feasible. Does anyone do this? What is the process? Where can I find a small pellet maker? Any experience or suggestions out there?

There is a guinea pig person who set out to make her own pellet because those on the market were not suitable. She's spent many many years at it with several formulas due to various issues, different mills with different dies available. I was really sad when the 2nd formula she made had long term logistical problems because it was quite different from your average pellet and the animals found it far more palatabile and easy to eat. If she's not too busy she might be willing to give you some advice and technical knowledge since rabbit and cavy pellets only really differ by the vit c content. Her site is kmshayloft.com She's been debating a chinchilla and a degu pellet because she has many clients who also own those animals and it's hard to find a feed for them. Rabbit pellets are often used with some supplement instead of a species specific pellet.

Thank-you, Akane! I have much hay here...alfalfa/timothy mix. Pellets are so much easier to use I was hoping making them may be financially feasible, but the extruders are looking pretty pricy. I will check her site.

Latest posts

Back