Pedigrees....

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anntann

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I'm leaning toward keeping full pedigrees (which are really just genealogy) on the fiber rabbits. And sending them along with the kits when they sell. I've found the background that RiverPines gave me extremely valuable in figuring out what kind of offspring I'd get from crossing A to B. (not that it's worked exactly, but it DID show me where various traits and colors are coming from)

Anyone have thoughts on this? I'm not showing, so it's not for that...just to keep track of who's who and such....

Would this be something that's a good thing to keep going? I'm a bit confused on how the whole pedigree thing works in the show world, you see. I know how it works in dogs and horses..but then you're working with purebreds for generations.

It works the same. I don't know if you have a software program, but you can download the "Kintracs" (or maybe it is Kintraks :? ) for free and I think the pedigree feature is in the basic package. After using the software for a while, I liked it, and sprung for the "enhanced" version, which costs a few bucks.

http://www.kintraks.com/

At the top of the page is a link that reads: free download

yup I'd use it too - best way to know what you do down the road too - there is a place for notes on kintracs which I really like - and I'm only just starting to figure it out :)

I"ve been playing around with it a little now..and my GOODNESS it has a lot to offer :) I believe I shall be plunking down my $20 today. thanks for the link. I know it's been mentioned on other threads, but I never looked at it since I wasn't doing the show thing. :slap:

I just got 2 pedigreed angoras. my first, which is not, has the best wool, these look good but I won't know until they get bigger how it'll be with the mats and stuff. I dont' show but will sell the kits and as far as I can tell (if you're not showing) the only difference is the price. I'm leaning towards doing pedigree just because I can ask more for them which will help me finance my rabbitry. My breeder was asking $75 for pedigreed but only $25-30 for non.

I use Evans Software (which I LOVE so much) and I do keep pedigrees on everyone. I have started showing but aside from the tables it it is helpful for trying to determine color genetics down the line and it makes it easier to keep records on which kinds of pairings produced good type, sound health, more wool, good/staple length, etc. as much as which pairings were not at all worth doing again, how inbred/linebred a bloodline is in the past, etc. I actually think not having any kind of paper record would be completely detrimental to me because I do go back and look at pedigrees/individual animal info so much. That being said, I actually don't sell every kit I have available with a pedigree especially if I would prefer that they not be used for breeding. It is no guarantee and I still try to screen as much as I can, but I know for sure with the couple of litters I have had that there were several kits I wish I would have held onto and a couple kits that I was glad went to wonderful pet homes, too.

Best of luck!

Lauren<br /><br />__________ Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:35 pm __________<br /><br />PS. Crystal, don't worry too much about wool yet in your little ones- they still have their junior/baby coats and it tends to mat much easier (and of course will have less length/texture/density) then their adult coat should.

I love evans but its so darn expensive. Mine expired. :(
My daughter, who is the record keeper, is using breeders assistant free version right now.
She says its ok. She likes evans better too.

She is taking a look right now at kintracks on her PC.
Give her a couple of days for her assessment. LOL<br /><br />__________ Tue May 25, 2010 12:13 am __________<br /><br />Update!!
Dont have to wait for my daughters assessment because the program crashed on Win7.
So we cant run it. I guess its a thumbs down. :(

I want to buy Evans. We definitely have to save up for it.

why did the program crash on your computer. I have a rather quirky monster and kintracs has never been a problem with it, so I'd try to figure out what caused the crash. Do you need more memory?

Its the program not my daughters pc.
She has 4 gigs of ram, 4 quad processor, 500gig HD, Win7 Pro, etc.
So memory nor performance is the cause of the prob.

The program has got a bug that causes a error in the processing of its data files on Win7 Pro.
Probably a line of code that isnt being read right or a clash with another program like our security programs.

I also tried it on my pc, which is brand new, and the program crashed.
On both pc's we couldnt launch the program because it crashes as soon as it tries to load the data.
Both PC's have the same Win 7 Pro on them and the same security programs.

I noticed on their help page the only OS other than xp mentioned is Vista.
They may be a tad out of date.

We'll keep using Breeders Assistant until we buy Evans. BA has ran fine for us.
I have had no issues with evans either, except having it expire after 30 days. :(

When y'all spring for evans, make sure you spend the extra $20 to get the deluxe, or else you'll miss out on all the genetics. I recently had a family come complain to me that they couldn't get the genetic parts working, like I'd been talking about. Low and behold, they bought the simple version.

Plus they have the best customer service out of anyone I've ever dealt with, be it rabbit item or not. Quick responses, within 5-10 minutes. Very personable, and friendly.

I've just had great luck with then. XD

ShadedNightRabbitry":2193e2z7 said:
When y'all spring for evans, make sure you spend the extra $20 to get the deluxe, or else you'll miss out on all the genetics. I recently had a family come complain to me that they couldn't get the genetic parts working, like I'd been talking about. Low and behold, they bought the simple version.

Plus they have the best customer service out of anyone I've ever dealt with, be it rabbit item or not. Quick responses, within 5-10 minutes. Very personable, and friendly.

I've just had great luck with then. XD
:up:
Yup!!! We keep track of the gene code and only the deluxe has that option.
If we didnt track gene code we wouldn't bother with software and just go with paper and pen to keep track.
We like evans because its more than just pedigree for showing and selling. Its a lot more customizable and the gene program is gold that evans has built in.

Love, love, love Evans! Customer service is on top of it! I found a bug in their software with viewing related animals and it was fixed and an update posted on their site within a day or so, with progress reports along the way. It does cost more, but sooo worth it! I have too many rabbits to worry about doing it on paper.

And something that I was told once is it doesn't cost any more to feed a rabbit with a pedigree than one without. :)

I'm new at keeping pedigrees so I only have the free version of Kintracks. If you use this program, then when you backup the program, copy the file which has all the backup data from the "my documents" folder to somewhere else. That way, if you have to reload the WinDoze operating system, you will still be able to get to the data you entered into the program. Don't ask me how I found this out!

Hello Hotzcatz,
I use Evans Rabbit register
and back-up about once per month.
I use a flash drive. Is that feasible
with the program you are using?
I also maintan a copy of all my pedigrees
in a folder in my file cabinet.
Dennis, C.V.R.

Aloha Dennis,

Ah! A folder in a file cabinet. For a moment there, I was wondering which program is called "file cabinet". The world has become way too digital! Your file cabinet idea is great, I'll start printing them out, too.

The free version of Kintraks doesn't seem to give the option of where to back the files up to and the default location seems to be "my documents". They do mention the name of the file, so I just manually copy that file to somewhere else. In case of losing the operating system, the files stored in folders made by the user don't get written over so the data can be copied back to "my documents" and then all the data will still be accessible to Kintraks.

I'll check Evans Rabbit Register as well as any other pedigree/breeding data programs out there, but so far at $20, it looks like Kintraks may be the one I end up with. I don't think I'll ever have a huge rabbitry but these rabbits sure do generate relatives quickly! Kintraks only lets the free version have sixty or so entries so with rabbits those slots fill up quickly.

Does Evans let pictures and notes be attached to each animal's file?

A hui hou,
Cathy

hotzcatz":10kcv6as said:
Aloha Dennis,

Ah! A folder in a file cabinet. For a moment there, I was wondering which program is called "file cabinet". The world has become way too digital! Your file cabinet idea is great, I'll start printing them out, too.

I have a file folder for each color variety and Sex.
[EX] Black Does, Black Bucks, B/Blue Bucks, B/Blue Does etc.
It makes it easier to find a pedigree should I need it and the computer be down or busy.
Dennis.

I'll check Evans Rabbit Register as well as any other pedigree/breeding data programs out there, but so far at $20, it looks like Kintraks may be the one I end up with. I don't think I'll ever have a huge rabbitry but these rabbits sure do generate relatives quickly! Kintraks only lets the free version have sixty or so entries so with rabbits those slots fill up quickly.

Does Evans let pictures and notes be attached to each animal's file?
Yes Evans does all that and more. I would not be without it.
for a few more $$$ you should get the version with the Genetics included.
There is a slightly cheaper version without the genetics
but for the few dollars more the genetics comes in handy when figuring
who would be best to breed who to.
Dennis, C.V.R.

A hui hou,
Cathy

hi, I´m also trying to keep records.. lol.. obviously mine are pure hobby.. there are no rabbit shows or pedigrees where I live.. so it´d be a plus when selling a kit.. a nice touch if you must say..

I downloaded breeders assistant and kintraks... filled out the b.a. one so far.. seems nice... it doesn´t has the genetic outcome but that I can get over the net.. besides it would be for me and my own use.. and them being only pet/feeders.. so I´m good with them so far.. only time will tell ;)

Latest posts

Back