Pedigree Blue English Lop (aaB-C-ddE-) which mate color

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckcs

Reaction score
I recently purchased a pedigreed blue english lop buck (aaB-C-ddE-). He cannot be shown due to chewed ears. I do however want to start a breeding program in the near future. What are some colors that I should look for in a mate? I'd want colors that can be shown. Solids or brokens are fine but ideally would like as wide a variety in a litter.

As with the Mini and French Lops, the English lop can be shown in practically ANY color (magpie and fox are the only exceptions :mrgreen: )

So breed to any colour that catches your fancy :)

You get the best rainbows pairing recessive-carrying dominant colors to expressed recessives.

For example if you bred a chestnut that was carrying one copy of self (Aa) and dilute (Dd) to your blue buck you can get chestnuts, opals, blacks and blues. A look at the pedigree could give a clue as to what hidden recessives they might carry.

Thanks for the replies. I'm hoping at next weeks ARBA show in Virginia that someone will have a doe that I can buy.

Dominant colors can carry the most other colors but you can't see those colors on them. It takes pedigrees and a bit of luck or breeding the recessives in to the offspring and using the offspring. I put a black chinchilla (AABBchdchdDDEE) with my lilac ermine(AAbbchdchdddee) and you get all black chinchillas *but* they are all carrying recessives (AABbchdchdDdEe) so I can get black, chocolate, blue, lilac chinchillas and black, chocolate, blue, lilac ermines. Add in my full color, self chocolate doe to my chinchillas and a generation later I can then get self black, chocolate, blue, lilac and chestnut, opal, chocolate agouti, and lynx. A little more work and I have torts, oranges, and fawns. I just have to keep breeding the offspring together or back to the recessive colored parent and I add a color palette every generation.

Latest posts

Back