Pay for pedigrees?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonnerSurvivor

Reaction score
I am curious as to how you all feel about paying for pedigrees. I see alot of advertisement were a pedigree is 5 dollars extra which seems fair to me as the seller has to buy/print the form or pay for a website subscription as well as go through the trouble of filling it out. But how about the people who charge 10-15-25 dollars for a pedigree? Are they just trying to price gouge or keep the market from having more quality pedigreed rabbits on it?

I don't quite understand that. If you are paying the price for a breeding rabbit, you get the pedigree with it. If it's not for breeding, then there is no ped. I just like to keep it simple. I have never dealt with anyone who asks for extra for peds, papers, etc. If someone wants more, set the price of the rabbit and send the peds with it.

I.m with Sky--Breeders should come with peds- 'nuff said. Extra dollars-- hey, any Joe Blow can fake a ped....

I've done this before BUT at buyer's request. Some one will buy a rabbit that I have as show or brood prospect but does not want the papers at the time. I knock off a little in price since I don't have to mess with the papers, then they call 6 or so months later wanting the pedigree and what not as the junior or senior they got they decided was really worth getting the papers for. I don't charge a lot extra (usually its the $5.00 or $10.00 I knocked off so makes looking up the info and all a little easier to take). I won't price rabbits that way though, I price as if I'm selling the rabbit as it is stated (pets never are, but brood/show prospects always go with whatever papers I have for them). If its a really expensive or one of my better show prospects and some one asks me that, I won't do it though, I just have too much invested in them to sell the nicer ones, even the ones I can't really hold onto as I've kept their brother/sister or whatever, w/o their papers and I'd rather keep them here until some one that does want them for that purpose wants to buy them. If it'd get to be a problem though, I probably would just start telling people that I can't do that, it is what it is take it or leave it. I might have 2 or 3 people ask if I can sell x or y without their pedigree a year.

I just listed rabbits for sale on CL for meat or breeding stock. Price is per pound for meat rabbits (no pedigree), pedigreed stock starting at $30 for brood quality, $50 for show quality. A nine pound doe would be $31.50, while younger stock would be a minimum of $30.

I have a pet pedigree included in my rabbit care package. They can upgrade it to a full pedigree for 10$ more, or just buy the full pedigree at 15$. I find that most people who buy from me are happy to buy the care package and get the pet pedigree that way.

i dislike charging extra dollars for peds. Peds come with my rabbits at time of sale. If you want the pedigree AFTER the sale, then I'll charge you for it. It takes time to look up buns and see who the bun is.

ladysown":26etfdjb said:
i dislike charging extra dollars for peds. Peds come with my rabbits at time of sale. If you want the pedigree AFTER the sale, then I'll charge you for it. It takes time to look up buns and see who the bun is.

If it's a rabbit I bought with a pedigree, then I agree, ped goes with the rabbit.

For the rabbits I bred here, whom I have to create a pedigree for, and am creating using manual input on Coreldraw, then yeah, you can pay extra for the time and effort I am putting into this.

ladysown":2puzwr9a said:
:yeahthat:

The rabbit is what you are paying for...not a piece of paper. I set my price according to whether or not the rabbit has a full 3 generation pedigree. If yes, then you pay one price. If no, then you pay a bit less. BOTH rabbits come with whatever pedigree records they have. Once they hit breeding age, the price goes up a bit. I base my prices on the amount of time I have to spend on the rabbit before sale and how long I have been working with that particular line of rabbits. Peds are just the record of the rabbits ancestors, nothing more, nothing less. Yes, it helps to see that there were GC's and such in the rabbit's background, but really...two GC rabbits can throw duds too. :)

DonnerSurvivor":3jo8qu50 said:
What is the difference between a pet pedigree and a full pedigree?

A pet pedigree just has name, colour and breed for all of the ancestors. A full pedigree has weight, DOB, mane status and ear number(if available) for all ancestors as well as name colour and breed. Stuff that pet people(my main market) won't care about, but that breeders/show people might.

I think that if I added in a cost for the pedigree, I'd sell a lot less rabbits. Pedigree is more of a bragging right for pet owners, and anything I've produced previous to this was not top quality anyway.

OneAcreFarm":isderta9 said:
Yes, it helps to see that there were GC's and such in the rabbit's background, but really...two GC rabbits can throw duds too. :)
What is a GC?

Ohh, I was wondering what GC stood for too. On the pedigree I got it said GC legs and I had no clue what that meant. Thought maybe they said the legs tasted particularly good. "Great cooked legs"

mystang89":2y3ngc5w said:
Ohh, I was wondering what GC stood for too. On the pedigree I got it said GC legs and I had no clue what that meant. Thought maybe they said the legs tasted particularly good. "Great cooked legs"
LOL!!

Back