Pastured meat rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bilder

Reaction score
Got an old cage and was thinking of turning it into a tractor for my rabbits to graze in during the day. Do any of you pasture your bunnies? I am curious if it would be beneficial or not. Plus the help with keeping the yard mowed would be nice. :mrgreen:

I did it before. My rabbits loved it and so did the grass! The grass thrived on the rabbit poop and got very thick and healthy! So much so, I had to mow more frequently! :) We have moved since then and I only wish I had grass like that now. :(
Just becareful the cage your looking at will keep rabbits in and predators out. Good luck. :)

I'm interested in trying it... but I'm worried about fleas and ticks.

The cats and dogs have to be doused with chemicals to keep the fleas off, but I can't do that to meat rabbits.

Does dusting them with food-grade DE (diatomaceous earth) really work??

-Wendy

wsmoak":2ere1xmx said:

-Wendy

Yes. It will not knock-em-dead on contact, but within a day or two they dehydrate and die.

wsmoak":2xdd2lfz said:
I'm interested in trying it... but I'm worried about fleas and ticks.

The cats and dogs have to be doused with chemicals to keep the fleas off, but I can't do that to meat rabbits.

-Wendy

Chickens will clear up a flea/tick problem very quickly. When we bought our house it had ZERO grass where 2 large boxers had been in the yard. When we started watering to plant grass...holy moly did we get an infestation crawling out of the dirt. It was disgusting. We got our chickens and started them free ranging in the yard and now I very rarely see a tick on either of my dogs, even the one who stays outside. Right now I have 2 of my rabbits on the yard. You could try just sprinkling the DE on the ground where you are going to be putting the rabbits as a precaution and then just dusting them with it if you find any fleas or ticks.

I do have free range chickens and I'm sure they help, but the dogs and cats still get bugs, so I know they're out there.

If DE works well enough, then I could dust them occasionally while they're on pasture, then when I bring them in to process, dust them really well and keep them in hanging cages for the last week to make sure they're clean before I process.

Thanks!
-Wendy

Back