Paralyzed front leg(s)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karenm99

Reaction score
I just noticed that a male rabbit (3 months old) that I'd planned to keep is having trouble staying upright. It looks like at least one of his front legs doesn't move properly. When he goes to turn around his front legs are crossed and if he's in a hurry he'll fall over onto his side. At normal speed he gets around fine. I checked for injuries, he doesn't have any sores and everything seems to bend in the right places. He eats, drinks and poops normally, doesn't seem sick. (He may have been doing this all along, I just removed his littermates, so he's the only one in the cage now.)
Any ideas? Could this be congenital or is it some kind of disease I should be worried about?
Thanks in advance.

Poor little thing! :( If you haven't already, I'd quarantine him. Its hard to say what it is. It could be an injury or it could be something that he has had but now has gotten bad enough to see. So sorry, in either case you probably shouldn't keep him for breeding.

Sounds like a balance issue. Have you checked for mites?

He may have banged his head and caused damage or he could be developing wry neck, one of the causes is believed to be the parasite E. cuniculi - 30 days of Fenbendazole is the recommended treatment.

An encysted tapeworm larva in the brain can also cause wobbles - there is no effective treatment for this

Where does a city girl find fendbendazole? I've looked online and the only place I see it sold for rabbits is in the UK. Or I can order a minimum of 500 kg from mainland China :? I can get it from TSC for horses. Can I use that? Should I dose everybody?
Thanks again...

It goes by the commercial name Panacur and Safeguard

I buy the 50ml bottle for goats.

I think the horse one would be too concentrated and it would easy to overdose.

Latest posts

Back