Paperwork ?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreamerz

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this or not but I have a few paperwork questions.

1 ~ I read somewhere that a youth has to own a rabbit to show it. If this is true how do they prove ownership, since many rabbits are not registered till they win their three legs ?

2 ~ Since many of our rabbit's are not registered when we buy them, does that mean we can change their names ? As easy as changing it on a pedigree ?

3 ~ Are we allowed to add our Rabbitry initials to the name of a rabbit we purchased & plan to show ?
(ex: ZZ/XX Cute Rabbit ... can we make it ME/ZZ/XX Cute Rabbit or ZZ/XX Cute Rabbit of ME)

I know I had a few more I just can't think of them right now.

Jane

1. Bill of sale sometimes, when they fill out the show registration, it becomes their rabbit.

2. Not unless you want to anger the breeder. I mean, who's to stop you, but it is a bit unethical if the breeder already put a name on it. If you have a chance, ask the breeder at time of purchase.

3. Same as above. If you did not mate the rabbits yourself, you are not considered the breeder, and you should ask them what they want to be the tattoo.

These are not rules or laws, just good rabbit ethics

For instance I bought a doe with a litter. She wanted me to use her prefix. Then I bought a bred doe from her, and breeder told me to put what I wanted. I just bought two does from someone, and when she gave me the pedigree, she did not put a name for either rabbit. The rabbit had a name on her website though. She has never been bred so she's giving me the option to change it, but the prefix is on the rabbit's name

Nothing is to stop you from naming or renaming a rabbit. Where you're most likely to get into a pinch with the person who sold it to you is when you assign YOUR rabbitry name to it, which normally represents the breeder who brought it out of the litter box thru her or his own breeding. I have 3 Cal Satins which I bought from somebody in WI. I have assigned names to each of them, and it will be reflected on their registration documents, but the things which didn't change was the original breeder's name (i.e., XYZ's Delle Donne, Scurlock, or Mazzante) and obviously the assigned ear number. Had I assigned MY name (i.e., SatinsRule's Delle Donne, Scurlock, Mazzante), THAT is where I'd get into a pickle with the breeder I bought them from.

For show rabbit sales, I have yet to see a "bill of sale", but rather routinely have I seen a pedigree from its original breeder.

SatinsRule":fjq2fvyy said:
Nothing is to stop you from naming or renaming a rabbit. Where you're most likely to get into a pinch with the person who sold it to you is when you assign YOUR rabbitry name to it, which normally represents the breeder who brought it out of the mailbox. I have 3 Cal Satins which I bought from somebody in WI. I have assigned names to each of them, and it will be reflected on their registration documents, but the things which didn't change was the original breeder's name (i.e., XYZ's Delle Donne, Scurlock, or Mazzante) and obviously the assigned ear number. Had I assigned MY name (i.e., SatinsRule's Delle Donne, Scurlock, Mazzante), THAT is where I'd get into a pickle with the breeder I bought them from.

For show rabbit sales, I have yet to see a "bill of sale", but rather routinely have I seen a pedigree from its original breeder.

I've been giving bill of sales to pet or 4 H kids, and pedigrees with amount written on to breeders. I read somewhere that 4H kids needed a proof of purchase.

skysthelimit":2hb9k6g1 said:
SatinsRule":2hb9k6g1 said:
Nothing is to stop you from naming or renaming a rabbit. Where you're most likely to get into a pinch with the person who sold it to you is when you assign YOUR rabbitry name to it, which normally represents the breeder who brought it out of the litter box thru her or his own breeding. I have 3 Cal Satins which I bought from somebody in WI. I have assigned names to each of them, and it will be reflected on their registration documents, but the things which didn't change was the original breeder's name (i.e., XYZ's Delle Donne, Scurlock, or Mazzante) and obviously the assigned ear number. Had I assigned MY name (i.e., SatinsRule's Delle Donne, Scurlock, Mazzante), THAT is where I'd get into a pickle with the breeder I bought them from.

I've been giving bill of sales to pet or 4 H kids, and pedigrees with amount written on to breeders. I read somewhere that 4H kids needed a proof of purchase.

Like I said before, I've yet to see it. Not saying that bills of sales don't exist, but then again, I'm not involved with FFA or 4-H, either.

Thank you for the information ! As you can tell I have alot to learn still, that is why I asked.

I did not get a bill of sale with any of my rabbits, just signed over pedigrees.

I was curious about changing the rabbits name because some of mine came with what I think of a stupid names (ex: Friendly, Grumpy, Sleepy, Bunni ... etc.) but I guess it is best to just deal with them.

I never thought of removing the breeders initals from the rabbits names, I know that would be wrong. I just wondered about adding to it like you do with show dogs (at least all of the dog breeders I ever delt with when I used to show).

Thanks again for the help,
Jane

Almost all of my bunnies kept their names, so I have buns named Scream, Big Hair, Elmo, Fava, and Zoolander. I could technically "call" them whatever I want, but I won't change a pedigree, and these are the names on the pedigree. If a pedigree ever gets back to the breeder, it helps that breeder also recognize that animal. Cinny's name is Hartman's Jordache. I don't want to call her Jordache. Patriot's name is DeCrosta's Black Tort. I call her Patriot be cause she was born on 9/11/11. In rabbits, unlike dogs, putting your name on them is like saying you bred them.

Names in dogs can denote ownership as well as breeding. I have a dog who had a registered name when I got him. I did not change it or ask to change it. I bought three more as puppies, when they were registered I added my name with permission from the breeder. When I sold pups, I already picked out names to put on the pedigree, names that I will always be able to track where that litter originated. I had one person add there prefix at the end, a decision we came to before the dog was registered. it's always good to get an understanding with the breeder.

Latest posts

Back