Papaya Enzyme

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoosier

Reaction score
I bought a bottle of Puritan's Pride Original Papaya Enzyme and am wondering how much and how often to give it to the rabbits. Am I assuming correctly that only the adults should get it/need it?
Here's the guaranteed analysis per THREE tablets: Papain 45mg, Amylase 6mg, Protealase 6mg, Papaya fruit 3mg, Calcium 157mg, Sugars <1mg, Carbohydrates <1mg. Other ingredients: Sucrose, calcium carbonate, vegetable stearic acid, vegetable magnesium stearate, corn starch, papaya flavors.

Following........

I have asked the how much , how often question on several groups.... so have a bunch of other people.... Strangely... this question does Not seem to get answers... :(

I messaged a good irl friend this morning... she gave me a straight answer... " They fed it during molting...and whenever the rabbits were less than enthusiastic about their feed."

So far that has been the best response i've gotten.... Hope those with wool rabbits here might add on to this .....

I don't have an answer because I have never tried it. I give dried pineapple to my bunch.

Am interested in this though. Is it to prevent possible wool block or am I wrong about that?

*bumping the topic*

I used to give 1 tablet per day. Then we moved, and I never got started again.

I do have a doe who needs it, so I'll start back up. Every time I put her back on full pellets, she ends up with 1/3 of her cage floor with dangling berries. Unfortunately, combing her doesn't get much in the way of results.

Somebody else said they read to give 4 tablets twice a week. Bad Habit gives 1 per day when her rabbits are molting.

I have only used it in times that the rabbit is going through wool block. Over time, and talking with breeders that have been in rabbits for 25+ years, some seem to find it linked to genetics. Sometimes. Some seem more prone than others. I have one mix mutt rabbit with an iron stomach and nothing can throw her off.

I don't feed hay but every now and then and I had more cases of Woolblock when I was than when I wasn't. So do I really think hay is necessary? Nope. I think their feed has enough fiber. I think like sore hicks, some will just be more prone than others.

My success with Woolblock has been making a mixture of crushed papaya enzyme, fresh squeeze organic pineapple juice, miralax, and gas drops. Nothing but that to drink for 3 days along with hay and getting them time outside to really get around.

I've been suggest meat tenderizer in the past ( breaks down protein) but it has never worked.

I thought I replied to this, maybe it was another thread, or maybe it just didn't post. I give my angoras the same tablets. Adults and kits. Mine eat them as treats, so if the other rabbits are getting something, heavens forbid the little babies aren't getting treats too! You should see the look on their faces.

I feed 4 tablets per adults, two per kits twice weekly as a preventative. Free access to grass hay is critical too for my angoras. I found a site (woodlakewoolies.com) that says that this is about the all they can physically absorb, and more than that will just pass through their system. Since I started treating as a preventative with hay and papaya, I've had very few cases of wool block.

MSD did mention that the enzyme in papaya (Bromain or something like that) can act as an anticoagulant too, and shouldn't be given to does about to kindle in the event that they may bleed to death. I think it is sound advice, but I don't do it, and I've never had a problem, though I do think it is not a bad idea. I just forget not to give it to them.

So do I really think hay is necessary? Nope.
I think their feed has enough fiber. {Peach}

The fiber provided by the pelleted rabbit feed
is too finely ground to be of much value.
That is what makes the long fiber provided by
Grass-hay So important. It helps to keep
the digestive system working properly,
thus [in most cases] preventing wool-block.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Sorry for not replying sooner. I read somewhere that the dried pineapple and dried papaya didn't contain the enzyme that the dehydration process destroyed it. When we would get a fresh pineapple, we gave pieces of the core to the rabbits. I appreciate everyone taking the time to respond and help us and the buns.
I'm sorry PSF Angora that you had already answered this question. I usually do a search before I ask a question to see if it has been previously answered. I also try to title my own posts in a very descriptive way to help others find info. Thank you for answering again!

Latest posts

Back