Palpating mentor.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So every time I had palpated my does in the past I could not feel a damned thing. NOTHING! Just rabbit belly. After 4 breedings that did not take, continuing to practice palpating I was starting to give up hope. I bred the does 15 days ago, and just palpated them all. I did not feel a thing in 3 of the does, I got down to Cloudy, and I could for sure feel something for the first time, but I am very doubtful since I've had such horrible luck with getting these does pregnant, or palpating. I can feel quite a few lumps under her skin, deep in her tummy area, and along the bottom of her tummy. I couldn't get the best feel for size, but I would say they are about 2-3 times larger than their poop. I'd say I could feel about 6, or 7 lumps. I know it's only day 15, but even her attitude is a bit different. Normally she's a bit high strung, and difficult to get out of her cage, but lately she's actually pretty sweet. I can pick her up no problem, and when holding her she snuggles into my shirt, or jacket.

I am looking for someone to pretty much mentor me on palpating, and rabbit breeding. Someone I could call, or message when I have questions, or when things start looking different.

HansenHomestead":xxppsqet said:
I couldn't get the best feel for size, but I would say they are about 2-3 times larger than their poop.

They should be about the diameter of a nickel or even a bit larger by this stage. The embryos will feel "squishy", like a grape, whereas poop will feel firm and almost hard.

When you palpate, you want your fingers to almost touch through the abdominal wall. I start just behind the ribs, high up just under their loin, and then, for lack of a better explanation, "pull" my fingers down toward the outer belly. I then once again start high up under the loin, just behind where I checked prior.

Yes ma'am that is very close to the technique I did. They felt a bit larger than poop, and yes a little squishy. On the side of what I was feeling it was unlike ANYTHING I had ever felt before. I have felt intestinal movement, and this was not even close to that feeling, and like I think I had said earlier it was only on the lumps that I would a decent thump thump, maybe I am crazy, but I swear to you I felt it, haha. She has been very sweet, and calm. Usually she screams at you when you open the cage, but lately she's all love! I open the door, and she practically begs to be pet, haha.

Hi,

sorry, I can't tell you anything about palpating since my does have a very strong opinion on where I'm allowed to touch them :?, I don't like to force them since I did not get any results the few times I tried.

Day 15 is early, I start to guess it not before day 20 or so when watching them running from behind - imho a fat doe looks more like a caterpillar, shifting mass forth and back, a pregnant ones belly swings from side to side. But I guess that also depends on breed and individual somewhat.

A mood change can be a good sign, but well, you know, they keep you guessing.

It's cruel, but you'll have to wait full term to be sure :good-luck:

Preitler

Latest posts

Back