Palpate/nest box question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok that's what I was planning on doing because she is already litter trained so I don't want her mistaking the nest box as a litter pan. If I take the nest box out and let her feed them twice a day will I be able to put them in with her once they are hoping around or no? I do let her out for hours and she is digging at everything from carpet, blankets, floor, and even the cat's litter pan. She also digs a little and chews at the corn of her cage when she is locked up for the night. Is she already wanting to make a nest or no?

Yeah, you will be able to leave the kits in whenever you feel like it (my does don't seem to particularly care one way or the other),
but that cage will get pretty crowded if she has more then a pair of kits.

Ok. Well I did some thinking and wanted to see if I could give my doe a little more room so she wouldn't have to be so crowd with the nest box and kits. This is what I came up with. Tell me what you think and if it will work. If it works will I be able to leave the kits in with her then since I really don't have a place to put a nest box up from my cat. I really don't think he would hurt them since his best friend is my doe but you never can trust a cat.

Attachments

• Photo3408.jpg
    Photo3408.jpg
    710.1 KB · Views: 550
Excellent idea but you should put something on the door/ramp of the white wire cage so feet don't slip through and/or bone breaks happen.

I would put the nest box in the newer solid bottom cage as the kits are less likely to wiggle through the cage bars if they get out of the nest box

Yeah I was thinking the same thing with the door so I might see if I can just take the door off for right now. <br /><br /> -- Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:43 am -- <br /><br /> Well today marks day 14. I've tried to palpate her and she just will not let me. She either grunts and turns around toward my hand but doesn't bite(yet) or grunts at me and runs off under my bed. So I'm taking it as she probably has some kits inside her. Another 17 or so days and I shall see.

palpating can be tricky... I always put my left hand over the head and then actually lift the back feet off the ground so it is more difficult for them to move around. Some does just plain hate it though and will be difficult. Search for some Youtube videos to watch to give you some ideas on ways it can be done. You can also palpate her in another 7-10 days and you should be able to feel babies by then.

Ok. Well since I figured out how to make more room for my doe by adding another cage. I am wondering if I still need a nest box for her. I have 2 for her I just don't know if I should use them. She does get in them when she is running around but that is all.

If she is pregnant, she needs a nestbox before she kindles. The box isn't for her, it's for the kits. It keeps them warm, safe, and all in one place.

If you decide to use one of the ones you have pictured so far, please find a way to attach it to a side of the cage so it can't be turned over. If you don't, you are likely to find the kits scattered, cold and dead. I use a big wooden nest box, and my does still move it around- they just can't turn it over.

Do yourself a favor, and read through the section of the forum on Kindling and Care of Does and Kits. Learn all you can before the kits arrive, and it will make things easier on you.

What's the update on it?

I have a doe that is possibly 2 weejs along..the previous owner said the buck got into her cage and they were together 24hrs before she came out probably..... I am new to rabbits and I tried putting them together and they chase each other around and the doe is trying to breed the buck..she won't be submissive. I'm probably gonna have to wait it out... If she is prenant she is due on/around V-day.

Why will she not stop chasing my buck?!

HollandHops":81wm9bdc said:
What's the update on it?

I have a doe that is possibly 2 weejs along..the previous owner said the buck got into her cage and they were together 24hrs before she came out probably..... I am new to rabbits and I tried putting them together and they chase each other around and the doe is trying to breed the buck..she won't be submissive. I'm probably gonna have to wait it out... If she is prenant she is due on/around V-day.

Why will she not stop chasing my buck?!

Well update is she has already made her nest a few days ago in a box I gave her. She is definitely pregnant but I don't know how many she could have though. Now its just a waiting game till she kindles. She should be due on the 10th but since this is her first litter I really don't know when she will kindle unlike my other doe. She always kindles on day 32. I have plenty of pictures of her building her nest and of how big she has gotten.

Now about why your doe is chasing your buck. I know from the doe's I have had in the past and have now when they would chase the buck that they was ready to breed. She might want to breed with him but usually if they are pregnant they don't want to breed. (but you can't always go by that though.) You can always wait till a few days after V-day and if she doesn't kindle then try to rebreed her. I always check my doe's to see when they are willing to breed.

Back