palomino= rare breed?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pastelsummer

Reaction score
over on ht they are saying that palominos are a rarebreed. Is this true? because if so i may go ahead and get the brother to her i can get him and papers for $45

I don't see it on the rare breed rabbit lists, but from what I found it seems like they are one of the best commercial breeds.<br /><br />__________ Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:41 am __________<br /><br />looked a little farther, and these guys originate in Washinton State! I think that is pretty neat, and they look like a pretty cool rabbit.

They're relatively rare from what I know. There were 70 shown at ARBA convention last year. Not as low as giant chinchillas (20) or belgian hares (19) but still up there.

ok so it might be profitable to see if she would sell me the brother? Or should i wait and show her a little before hand maybe get her registered with arba?

I don't think profitable is the right word.
Not only do I not believe that raising rabbits for show should be profitable, rare breeds don't sell for more. I see D'argents selling for 10~15 around here, where as the mid quality dwarfs go for 50~80.

>.>;;;;;;;;

What you SHOULD do is find a completely unrelated buck if you want to 'help the breed'. The outcross will give you a little more leniancy in linebreeding before it becomes too inbred again.

ok that all makes sense i don't mean profitable to make tons of money i mean as in at least pay for the cost of the does and buck within a few litters

XD Not likely.
I've had 60 babies born this last year, and I'm not even close to the price that I've paid for the starter stock. Granted, I have 1.5k in stock out side, $900 in cages and supplies.... But still.

wow i have no where near that much i think all total i have maybe $75 into my stock and zero into my cages they were either given to me or made from stuff here at the house

25 years ago, the Golden and Lynx Palominos were some of the more popular 6-class breeds/varieties in most showrooms down here. They're not nearly as popular today, and that is a crying shame. They're an awesome rabbit to raise.

I'd try and contact the Palomino Rabbit Co-Breeders Association secretary and try to link up with other Pal breeders to get a few breeders from. One of the best ways to promote a breed like that is to get some great breeding stock and win big in a few shows. They won't win everyone over (no breed ever does so), but the people who become interested in them will make it more challenging and fun.

Hi, All,
I'm new to the group and was excited to stumble across Rabbit Talk (Palomino topic), just now. My husband and I have a small rabbitry, just west of Portland, Oregon, where we raise Goldens. We have photos posted on the ARBA District 1 web site and Palomino Rabbit Yahoo group (see photo album "Green Acre Rabbitry").

I used to raise NZ years ago, when my boys were little, but was always drawn to the Palomino because of their delightful temperaments. My husband thought I was nuts to propose raising rabbits in town, 3 years ago, but now he spends more time with them than I do!! Pals are simply charming.

I was sad to see the Pal included on the newly-released rare breeds list. The breed ranks #16 in the list of 16, so with a little active promotion, hopefully, we could bump it back up to the standard list. If people only knew more about Pals, there would be no danger.

I only know of one other serious breeder in my immediate area; one in Central Oregon and one in the south-coastal area. Those in Washington are also many hours drive away. I know of none in Idaho, yet, but I'm delivering a breeding pair and a trio to 2 new-comers in north Idaho, next month.

We have family near Missoula, Montana and Boise, ID and drive to those areas from time to time, often delivering breeding stock along the way. We also show frequently in the Pacific NW, so please say 'hello' if you see us!

I am compiling an informal list of breeders, because the national club's web site (and breed directory) has been down for many, many months. Not only that, but many breeders aren't members of the PBCBA, so their information wouldn't appear, anyway. If you'd like to be added, just let me know. Without knowing where other stock is located, the breed will be weakening through too-tight line breeding.

I'm so glad to have found this forum!!

Jojuan Cedergreen
Green Acre Rabbitry
Forest Grove, OR
Members: ARBA & OLRCB

Jojuan would you be willing to meet me half way between you and me? I am looking for a palomino buck to breed to my doe. Might even be looking for another doe too

Nothing would please me more. We often visit Boise to visit family, but if you're wanting stock right away, we're heading to the Missoula area for Thanksgiving. Our route will be I-5 east to the Tri-Cities, then north through Spokane. It's a long shot, but if you're able to meet us in Pasco, we might have something for you. Otherwise, it may be Spring Break before we get to Boise. Also, we sometimes visit friends in Pendleton and could bring Pals that far.

Let me know what you hope for in the way of quality: show/brood/meat production? With-or-without pedigrees? If you'd be interested in seeing photos, just say the word. Thanks for your interest.

Jojuan

I like pals - they are not rare in my area. I think the local fair typically has about 20-25 (with about 400-450 rabbits). I do know the breeder here that really promoted them is selling out. I came close to buying a trio but decided not to. Didn't realize they were rare, that would have changed my mind. Maybe I'll contact her down the road... hmm..

As for rabbits being profitable, excuse me while I get off the floor from laughing - lol. Of course I show and the average show between gas, entry fees, food while I'm at the show, raffle tickets, and sanctions because I usually donate the money and awards for one of the 3 breeds my family has runs about $250. Which is probably why we only do about 10 shows a year. Expensive hobby but one which I love. So good luck on that profit thing - lol.

Latest posts

Back