Palomino Color Observations

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honorine

Reaction score
Well I finally got over to one of our 4H friends houses to see her new Palomino's, and finally got some answers to my questions about what genetic colors they really are. Pals come in two colors, Golden and Lynx. Golden is supposed to be fawn, so they are chestnut with non-extension, supposedly the color of straw, so a light fawn without a lot of rufus. Lynx on the other hand, would lead you to believe that the rabbit is a genetic chocolate agouti expressing the dilute gene. Not so, as soon as I saw him I knew he wasn't a true Lynx, and my color guru buddy was with me. He was-- da da da-- a blue fawn, so an opal expressing non-extension, much different than what I was expecting. Makes sense, as those colors would work together well, and fawn and lynx not so much. I've been chomping at the bit wanting to see them, as there is so much conflicting info out there, I was beginning to wonder if Pals were completely chocolate based, explaining the Lynx and then the Golden was a chocolate fawn. Cheeses me off though, once again people are using the wrong color name, one of my pet peeves. I was a bit disapointed, I was hoping that they were chocolate based, also they were wideband, that accounts for the lighter color and cleanness of color. The goldens were all over the place in color too, some paler, some almost a weak red or orange. Just FYI, Silver Fawns and Creme d Argents are actually oranges. Just wanted to share my observations.

I know the goldens are the more popular variety of Palominos, but IMHO the lynx is the more attractive of the two colors. Get one that's decked out and they're tough to beat on the show table.

I liked the look of the Lynx, its a neat color, it just wasn't what I thought it would be. I did forget the darn camera, I'm a nudge. These folks also have Americans, both white and blue, and Silver Fox, and just had two blue Silver Foxes show up in a black to black breeding, cute little boogers!!! We have so many kids with rare breeds in our 4H club I really should start compiling an album of pictures, we've got a bunch of breeds well covered. I'll try to remember the camera next time!

Latest posts

Back