PA law?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yanni

Reaction score
The Tractor Supply store near me in PA has rabbits for sale. They have a sign that says you must buy at least 2 rabbits per state law. Really? I have not heard of this before. Anyone have any insight on this?

Enablers! They want to spread rabbitosis! They know what two bunnies leads to!

Seriously, sounds like someone has fed the powers that be the concept that bunnies must have a companion to be happy.

Pay NO ATTENTION to that post in the Tractor Supply Store!
Or in any other store for that matter.
Rabbits do perfectly well with YOU as their partner/friend.
Purchase two rabbits only if you intend to do breeding somewhere down the line.
As always, JMPO.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Actually, different locals will have different laws about sales of animals--And come to think of it, I haven't seen any 'single' rabbits gothrough the sales barns-- just in multiples. Give me your location, and I will lookup the statute for you. Here in Ashatbula, Ohio, no chick under four weeks of age may be sold- and chicks must go in groups of 6 or more- I haven't seen that law enforced, though...<br /><br />__________ Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:57 pm __________<br /><br />

Ag and marketing laws are:
No rabbits under eight weeks [two months] old
may be sold unless in groups of six or more.
Any breeder I know would NEVER sell a Rabbit under two months old unless
possibly to another breeder. Hey, I know that ALL the pet-shops
want the rabbits as small/young as possible. Why should they care
if the rabbit drops dead in a few days, it just means the customer will come back for more!
It's all about the $$$Money$$$!

Thanks, you guys, for your input. I knew about the chicks being sold in groups, but the rabbits? Since Tractor Supply is not a pet store, maybe the rabbits are being considered as livestock and it's a livestock rule. Or , maybe, that rule might discourage pet people from buying one on a whim. Terry, I am near Philly. Ottersatin, I'd be interested to know where you found that law (curiosity has got me on this one). And the 8 weeks part I knew, but the part about selling groups of six or more less than 8 weeks, I did not know. I asked the owner of the local petshop about how old her for sale rabbits had to be and she told me she won't take any rabbits under 8 weeks because it's PA law, so perhaps she is not as ruthless as some (at least that is what I like to tell myself).

Philly area, just by it's size, will have more restrictions than say, Conneautville- where EVERYONE lives down the road from a farm! PA does have some of the oldest anti-cruelty laws I know of- like no ear cropping (people take the pups over the borders and have it done in other states)- but a tail can be docked- go figure! Get this, we get people into the TSC here buying barbed wire-- as it is illegal to sell in PA! I wasn't able to find anything of any great signifigance in the PA ag laws, but I may have been using the wrong key words...got all kinds of processing info!

NJ also has laws about selling chicks and ducklings but they must be in groups of 3. The law pertains to anyone buying them, not just pet shops and feed stores. I can understand tail docking being ok since I have hunting dogs. It isn't a cosmetic thing it is a health issue. Most hunting breeds get so excited their tails wag at high speed non-stop. A lot of them suffer frequent injury and infection because of it. That's why you see a lot of hunting dogs with half a tail or a fully docked one and why it isn't considered a vanity surgery like ear cropping.

I can second that tail docking is common to prevent injuries in working dogs, although I think it is sad...then again...If it prevents them from serious injuries and is done while they are young puppies, it seems to cause little damage...much like dew claws being removed, so I was told.

Ottersatin, I'd be interested to know where you found that law (curiosity has got me on this one). And the 8 weeks part I knew, but the part about selling groups of six or more less than 8 weeks, I did not know. [Yanni]

Yanni,
go to my website http://www.angelfire.com/ny2/crescentvalley
Click on Ag and Marketing link all the particulars are there.
By the way, in the past I have sold a few rabbits to Tractor Supply.
I refused to sell them anything under eight weeks old, they were fine with that.

The Tractor Supply Store here in my part of Knoxville told me they won't be selling rabbits at all this year in any of the local and possibly any in Tennessee this yr. I asked why and was told PETA raised such a stink last year there had been rule changes in the state and T S was not going to jump thru the hoops to be able to sell rabbits for a couple of months. She also told me that I was more than welcome to come set up a table in the parking lot and sell my own if I wanted to.

Tail docking on dogs is done when the pups are 48 hrs old, along with the dew claws. Its like snipping a nail off and there is no blood and the pup just squeaks and goes back to sleep!. We put a bit of skin glue on the ends but that was all. I have seen injuries on certain types of hunting dogs tails its not pretty, not only that they could injure a child badly as well.

PETA are communists!! I don't know why gov. officials even give them the time of day!! There, that's the second time I have posted that in 20 mins. LOL

And I thought I lived in the land of the PETA/treehugging/activists!

I seriously thought for a second that you guys were joking--like it was just a clever marketing scheme, "buy 2, it's the law!" wink-wink, nudge.

Im in PA and i never heard the you have too buy two rabbits law .i know that applies too chics.the store here makes you buy 5 chics.I actually sell most of my rabbits out of state at shows anyway.

Back