Overwhelmed ...is it just me

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flemishstar

Reaction score
So...having all these animals is really starting to make m nuts lol..After my gmas funeral etc. I feel like it took me down a notch, Ive been trying very hard to keep it together, for me-everybody, but getting up at 6 am to feed all the animals, working 9 hours and then coming home to feed the animals, sometimes after im done doing all my domesticals i get to bed at 1 or 2 am, i get 2 days off a week, which will soon be 1 day off a week for about 3 months, Maybe after I send the kits to FC it will be a little easier, I just feel like a dad with 500 kids lol.....

That was my vent!!

Aldo

Lol I bet it can and does get overwhelming! I know for just having a herd of 30, I couldn't handle more. One time I had 6 litters at once, and that had me feeling like I was extremely overwhelmed, especially since I like to spend enough time after school and work, to handle them and tame them down. Perhaps reducing your numbers some will help you feel not so overwhelmed? I cut down my herd by 1/3rd during my busiest time of the year and the worst thing that happened is empty cages that cost nothing to sit there and a smaller feed bill :D

I'm feeling really overwhelmed with the puppies and piglets. I can handle the chickens, lol. The rabbit catastrophe really sucked the joy out of a lot of things.

It will get better. Just do what you have to do, no extras.

Oh, yeah... The animals can get overwhelming at times, Aldo. Nothing wrong with a little judicious culling to bring things back to manageable. Maybe send some of those fryers to freezer camp a little early, just to take the pressure off.

Thanks guys this weekend im gonna do it (FC), RJ I feel the same way, The chickens are soooooooo easy, but all these rabbits and stuff is getting to be too much!!... This Morn I was feeding the animals at 7 am to almost 8am, then showered etc, went to work, got out at 4 and ran errands til 530 just got home fed the animals wuick and now I gotta start round 2, I dont think its that I have too many animals its just a point im at in my like right now where im one step away from a nervous breakdown lol lol, npw itstimeforropund2 gotta rake the leaves ,

Thanx Guys

Aldo

Aldo, why do you need to feed the rabbits twice a day? One feeding and watering and then just a quick walk-through in the evening to make sure all is well should be sufficient. It would lighten your load quite a bit.

I feel bad, they seemsoooo ravenous all the time, and because i feed more of a fresh diet 2 of my does dont really touch their pellets, so i also pick clover for them, give bread, alfalfa hay, broccoli rabe leaves , oates ...and they suck down so much water recently, Im filling it 2-3 times a day. Im gonna try to revamp my system, :)

I don't know how some of you do it. We now have 16 adults and 4-5 litters born or about to be born. I constantly feel like I'm running behind on stuff. Doesn't help that I'm flat broke. Unfortunately the free or cheap fixes often come with more work time. I guess you pay one way or the other.

Thanks CK, I try soooooo Hard to keep things rolling, but at this time of year, when days are getting shorter, mornings cooler, it seems like I have no time, then life continuously throws curve balls. Im learning how to juggle very well, Ive been staying ontop of things but lately its all starting to slide, so ive been getting so fustrated I want to enjoy my hobbynot resent it, ya know?

I'm going to highly suggest an auto-watering system. The amount of time that will save you can be un believable.
I made mine DIY, so cost wasn't too bad. Even if cost is a little higher it will be worth it in the long run, if possible.
Also, heat tape and floating water heater for main water tank for this upcoming cold weather.
Good luck to you with balancing everything out.

OnTheBrightside":11i8jjxz said:
I'm going to highly suggest an auto-watering system. The amount of time that will save you can be un believable.
I made mine DIY, so cost wasn't too bad. Even if cost is a little higher it will be worth it in the long run, if possible.
Also, heat tape and floating water heater for main water tank for this upcoming cold weather.
Good luck to you with balancing everything out.

How do you handle cold temps/freezing with the auto waterer? I'm running water bottles right now, but was curious about an autowaterer since they suck down so much water during the summer. I don't work so it's not so much of an issue to go out a few times a day to water, but makes it hard to be gone for the day.

Where do you get heat tape and floating water heater? Does the tape have a special name?

Oh, yes, I've had my moments! Recently, it's been with the chickens--Mother's silkies to be exact. I can keep big chickens contained, let them free range more, and in general, they are easy keepers as anything can be. But NOT the silkies. Total PITAs. They can get out of any small hole (and will), are determined not to willingly sleep in the chicken coop (read: have to be gathered up before sundown), and in general try to circumvent every effort I make to keep their fuzzy little white butts alive. Mother loves them. That's the only reason they aren't history. We've lost 3. I told Mother that I'm not replacing them with more Silkies. I'll get her some pretty BIG chickens.

I've also changed my expectations of my breeding program for the rabbits which was a HUGE burden reducer. I didn't so much reduce the size of my herd as just my mental anxieties and expectations.

This time of year is hard. Like Aldo, I get up at 6am (which is still dark now) to feed the animals (in the dark) and tend to the sprouting grains etc. I get home and again, have animal chores to do before it gets dark. No problem unless we need to run errands like we did last night. Mother and I had to make a run to Walmart and to the HFS to pick up my order of raw milk. We were making good time to get back home before dark for animal tending...but there was a HUGE accident that held us up for a while. So, tended the critters in the dark and had a late dinner. While Mother was away for 4 weeks, my dinners tended to be a glass of milk and a sandwich because it was just to late to make anything else. I think it is the "in the dark" thing that gets to me...makes it feel more wearisome than doing it in the light...weird I guess...

I always feel behind on chores like clean-up and organizing and mowing and ... oh, Aldo--don't rake, vacuum! I mow up ("vacuum") my leaves with a mulching mower and a bagger. So much easier than raking!! And, this Saturday, if it is not raining, I've recruited two teens to help me get some chores caught up. One girl has to do "community service" for school. She'll get her community service credits and I'll get some much needed help! Works for me!

Frecs, it is the dark that maks me think "what the heck am I doing" it mak me feel lik im working non spot, and Yes i WILL US TH mower and bag them that is what I meant :) ugh

Flemishstar":1sj0gjlf said:
Frecs, it is the dark that maks me think "what the heck am I doing" it mak me feel lik im working non spot, and Yes i WILL US TH mower and bag them that is what I meant :) ugh

Yep...that cursed darkness makes it feel all gloomy and depressing...like we are working night and day.

I love vacuuming up my leaves! :) Of course, I compost them but the mower starts breaking them up so they compost faster, too. Love it love it.

I would quit feeding twice a day and stop feeding in the morning altogether. No idea what other animals you have, but to be up that long, you must have a few too many.
I think your mother should be in charge of the silkies if she's the one who wanted them. Mine come in at night on their own and can freerange just fine. But the 8in step into the coop is pretty hard for them to get up on. They also take their time getting back, waiting for all the other mean chickens to roost and then slowly walking in.
Can your's see?? If their puff is too large, they can become blind and be harder to own. I cut their feathers every time they molt, the change is drastic. From sitting in one area to suddenly wandering around and acting normal.

I think I have way less animals than most people on this forum, only 10-12 rabbits 2 dogs and 2 cats and I feel even feel overwhelmed at times. Its all those little lives depending on you- if you just forgot to fill a water bottle someone could die- its a lot of responsibility. And also the more you have the more the chance that something bad might happen everyday- like yesterday one of my rabbits bit the other through a partition and nearly ripped her whisker pad completely off- had to go to the emergency vet. So, almost every week there's some incident to deal with. And now I'm running out of hay and can't find anyone selling any bales.

Latest posts

Back