Overfeeding...?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle@theWintertime

Reaction score
I swear, my Champagnes and Angora are so much easier to gauge, feed-wise. :lol:

I'm worried I may be overfeeding my Mini Rex. I'm currently feeding a little over half a cup per bunny, and half the time they don't eat it all. I feel like it's a pretty big load of pellets for such wee creatures. I also feed alfalfa cubes every other day, and a small amount of BOSS every day.

Too much? :p

I just run my hand down their backs. If their spine sticks out too sharply, I increase the feed. If it feels like gentle little bumps, I leave the amount.
Not the best at explaining things. Hope that makes sense. :oops:

That's what I do with the others, I'm constantly adjusting the feed amount for the larger rabbits...but I feel like I may be plying too much on the wee ones, LOL. Mini Rex: it's a whole new world. ;)

Another way to gauge is to feed them only as much as they will clean up in 24 hours.

I have lines marked on the measuring cup. Smallest one is for Mini Rex, Holland and Woolys, breeds with weight DQ's. The next one is for Rex, and the last Angora/SF. Does with litters and kits/jrs get the full cup. If they still act hungry, they get more hay.

do feel and see if they are maintaining weight. Some just do better on less feed than others

3mina":2tcffwtg said:
It's the teeny critter syndrome, "that CAN'T be enough!" :D

I knoooow, they are just so wee!!!! I was showing pictures of my rabbits to a friend today, and they were shocked at how BIG my Champagne buck is, and how so very TINY my Mini Rex buck is...I was like "well they ain't called MINI for nothin'!" :lol:

Had a heck of a reality check tonight...I put all three Champagnes and my big French Angora into the carrier to deal with a cage emergency (my whole cage unit started listing HARD, one of the supports broke!!!! Just spent several hours jerry-rigging a temporary setup to last til I can fix it for real.) and then tried to lift it.

That's like...forty pounds of rabbit plus steel carrier. I was like "DANG this was SO MUCH EASIER when it was full of Mini Rex!!!!!!!" :x Am taking a break from prepping for my trip tomorrow to let the painkillers make my back bearable...too much lifting and hauling and carrying, LOL!!!

I'm likin' these tiny wee little Mini Rex more and more... :lol:

I want one...not sure I can lay hands on one before the next show though. :( Tell you what, lugging Boss's fat butt around isn't easy or fun, LOL, but he's such a nice fellow. :p

Back