Outdoor year round in tx?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a good idea! Do you vent them at all?
And rabbits in the heat need shade, shade, and more shade! And yes, do try to get local stock, they will be MUCH better off than an import.
paradox":1lguo0an said:
New on here so trying for first time to post a picture. We are in Central Texas. We tried deep shade and ice bottles and still lost bucks. Now we have a set up where they can get from their cage into an ice chest that is burried inside a structure like a raised flower bed. The picture is of our first one before it was finished. In the end there was also a hinged slanted roof over the coolers so the sun isn't beating down on them and the rain doesn't turn the dirt into a muddy mess. Also it keeps the lids locked down. In extreme heat we can put frozen 16 oz water bottles in the coolers and since they are super insulated that is much better than doing the two liters in the cage area. Those always melted before lunch here anyway. It is working really well so we just built the second one. Ran out of old broken coolers so had to use heavy plastic tubs for that one but they were not expensive. Wasn't hard to build and we used a lot of reclaimed materials.

As I said, I love OAF's setup (I've seen it in person, as well). As soon as I have my own land again, I want to duplicate her setup, with one addtion: latticework along the sides with bunny-safe vines (grapes, Confederate jasmine, hops, etc.). That will provide additional cooling and shade.

Ok Miss M - I made a separate thread with pics and instructions. Best I can do anyway. Teaching isn't my strong suit - LOL. It's called "Paradox's Bunny Caves for Miss M" and it is over in the care and housing section.

You did great with it! :p What you didn't have pictures for, you explained really well, and your pictures are awesome!

Thank you for adding to the knowledge base here. :D I can't help but think that it will inspire others who are planning to or who are raising rabbits in the heat... and even in the severe cold. :)

Normally it would not have been that fast. But I had the camera out and hooked to computer to download graduation pics. So uploaded those while I was at it. Trust me, I am not usually that organized.

Well I can put the rabbit(s) in a shaded area under a tree. I don't have electricity though, but was wondering if I could use battery operated fans? http://www.mycoolingstore.com/o2-cool-5 ... arWo9I3sfU And just switch them out when the battery dies. Also, plan on using cold tile/frozen water bottles. And wetting the ground under the cage. What I'm still worried about is fire ants, snakes, opossums, but mostly outdoor cats. I counted 3-5 a couple weeks ago. I can't build a garage/shed either. Trying to keep everything at a min. The cheapest car port I seen was $200 online at Home Depot. Any ideas/tips??

Mandz87":hu2atcnd said:
I can't build a garage/shed either. Trying to keep everything at a min. The cheapest car port I seen was $200 online at Home Depot. Any ideas/tips??
Can you build a lattice enclosure with vines growing on it? (Check out the photos in my gallery.)

trinityoaks":29hzykyk said:
Mandz87":29hzykyk said:
I can't build a garage/shed either. Trying to keep everything at a min. The cheapest car port I seen was $200 online at Home Depot. Any ideas/tips??
Can you build a lattice enclosure with vines growing on it? (Check out the photos in my gallery.)

I looked at your pictures. I really like that idea, may I ask how much it cost? I went on Home Depot/Lowes and found 4x8', I'm assuming it's 4' high 8' wide or is it the other way around? Also, what thickness should I be looking for? Or wood type? What other supplies would I need besides the lattice? How large is your enclosure? I'm thinking of housing 4 rabbits max. Oh, and how do I get vines to grow? Is it essential I have vines? Or is that the only way for add. shade?I've never built anything, so please excuse my newbiness, lol.

Mandz87":1f0ebrsn said:
I looked at your pictures. I really like that idea, may I ask how much it cost?
I forget now how much the materials cost (we bought them a couple of years ago), but it was pretty reasonable. Ours is built in three 4'x8' sections. Each section can hold 6 cages (on cage racks--I wouldn't try hanging cages from this structure). This design is easily expandable just by building another section onto the first. For one section, you would need:

4 4'x8' wooden lattice panels (get the ones with the closer spacing for better shade)
14 2x4s, 8' long
1 4'x8' plywood siding panel (for the roof)

I came up with the basic design, but my hubby figured out how to make it happen, and he and my sons built it. You will definitely need help--this is NOT a job for one person, no matter how strong. Three or four would be better than two.

Basically you make a frame in the shape of a box using the 2x4s (three of the 2x4s are cut in half to go from front to back), with two vertical boards forming each of the back corners. You will want to cut about 3" off the vertical boards in the back, and trim the lattice panels to match, so that the roof slopes back enough to drain water properly.

Everything is fastened together with 3" corner braces. Don't use the screws that come with the braces--use 8x1-1/4 flat Phillips zinc wood screws instead (you may as well buy a box of 100). There is an additional vertical 2x4 half-way along the back, and an additional horizontal 4' 2x4 piece across the middle of the roof. You will want the horizontal roof boards mounted resting on top of the vertical boards for added support for the roof.

After the frame is constructed, you attach the lattice boards to the sides with galvanized box nails (1-1/2 4d), and fasten the roof on with 8x1-1/4 zinc screws (I'm not finding the name, but the head is about 3/8" in diameter, Phillips drive, and the underside of the head is flat with grooves for gripping).

Oh, and how do I get vines to grow? Is it essential I have vines? Or is that the only way for add. shade?
The vines aren't required, but they provide addtional shade, and also help to keep the enclosure cooler. They will also give some privacy from nosy neighbors and some masking from HOA busybodies (looks more like an arbor or other garden feature, rather than a "shed"). We planted ours around the outside of the enclosure and attached the branches to the latticework with plastic plant support tape. The vines take it from there.

You can get various vines at Lowe's or Houston Garden Center. Confederate jasmine is nice, and grows quickly. It's also bunny-safe (they can eat the leaves), and in the spring and summer, it has the most beautifully-scented white flowers. At this time of year, I would recommend getting larger specimens (2-3 gal.) instead of 1 gal. or less for quicker growth.

I hope I explained everything well enough. If you still have questions, ask away!

Back