OUT! OUT ! Darn Spot!!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frosted Rabbits

Reaction score
I put the rabbits outside today--That meant disassembling the cages to do so, as they don't fit through the bedroom door, otherwise. They seem to be enjoying the sunshine-- I need to tarp them a bit later--They earned the privilege of going back outside because SOMEONE tore the plastic off the wall, and then the boys were able to spray it. I have a few hours of work cleaning the wall ahead of me-- At least it is not built up like long term would have been.

If you were sanitizing nestboxes (wood sides and metal floor) would you use bleach water or white vinegar? How about cages? Would vinegar do it by itself? I wouldn't want to use bleach around the buns(while they are in the cage), but vinegar sounds ok...Just plotting ways to keep the smell down this summer during my population explosion.

Vinegar and bleach are both acidic-- it is the change of the pH that sanitizes when using vinegar. Unless you have something real nasty present, vinegar suits most rabbitry needs, and it doesn't eat away at wooden nest boxes, there is no urgent need to keep the animals from breathing vinegar fumes.
The chlorine based bleaches sanitize by poisoning the microbes as well as changing the pH.

Now here is something I found when researching a fungal issue-- vanilla-- one tsp in a gallon of water, will kill a nasty fungus called Aspergillosis. This, if I recall correctly, is related to Legionaire's Disease...Asper is everywhere, and an animal with a compromised immune system cannot fight it off very well. Bleach won't kill it!!!

I figured you knew to use vinegar, Terry... but since you didn't mention it I thought I would.

Eco2pia, a spray bottle with vinegar is useful to have in your rabbitry for spot cleaning of potty corners etc. You might want to use a spray bottle with plain water to dilute the residue after... Not sure it's necessary but couldn't hurt. A plain water spray bottle is good to have for spritzing bunny ears on hot days too! (Just be sure to label them!)

Quite honestly, I think we get a bit crazy over sanitation sometimes. Vinegar is pretty much the only thing I use, and I've never had issues with disease. As Terry mentions, something else might be needed for a rabbit with a compromised immune system, but unless said rabbit is a beloved pet, I can't see keeping one like that around anyway.

MaggieJ":17rs7qxp said:
I figured you knew to use vinegar, Terry... but since you didn't mention it I thought I would.

Eco2pia, a spray bottle with vinegar is useful to have in your rabbitry for spot cleaning of potty corners etc. You might want to use a spray bottle with plain water to dilute the residue after... Not sure it's necessary but couldn't hurt. A plain water spray bottle is good to have for spritzing bunny ears on hot days too! (Just be sure to label them!)

Quite honestly, I think we get a bit crazy over sanitation sometimes. Vinegar is pretty much the only thing I use, and I've never had issues with disease. As Terry mentions, something else might be needed for a rabbit with a compromised immune system, but unless said rabbit is a beloved pet, I can't see keeping one like that around anyway.
I would use half water half vinger. I used to use it on my first mini rex cage and it helped with smell. I never used all vinger. Sprayed it on everything and my mini rex was fine.

dark.lapin":1zp7wh8o said:
I would use half water half vinger. I used to use it on my first mini rex cage and it helped with smell. I never used all vinger. Sprayed it on everything and my mini rex was fine.

WAY too much vinegar!!!! 1 cup of vinegar in a gallon of water is more than sufficient for MANY purposes! Even odor neutralizing--Dog pees on the carpet, blot up excess, and then Soak it with the gallon recipe-- more than sufficient to totally kill the odor so the dog doesn't pee in the same place-- If you are cleaning the rabbit dropping trays often enough, the same concentration keeps the mineral scale down, too.

I thank heaven every day for Vinegar! A cleaning agent I can buy with food stamps! Makes good pickles, too!

Latest posts

Back