Our pasture pen

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ollitos

Reaction score
We are raising our rabbits on pasture but we haven't had time to build the pasture pens. Big Bertha is due to kindle in about 6 days so we really had to get her pen made! My boyfriend, Greg, worked last night and most of today on it. It's pretty big because we plan on keeping the kits with her for quite a while and they'll need more room. The green wire on the bottom is to hopefully keep them from burrowing out. Except for the roofing material, it's made from recycled wood from other projects and construction jobs.

0220121307a-1.jpg

0220121549.jpg

Hutch with nesting box
0220121550.jpg

Big Bertha enjoying her little yard
0220121607.jpg

0220121612.jpg

She's checking out the nesting box
0220121626.jpg

That looks great!

I like how the wire is sandwiched between the lumber- that will not only prevent the wire from being easily torn off by predators, but will protect you from the sharp ends of cut wire. The hinged top is a nice feature, providing easy access. I also like the hose pull handle... it is nice to be able to put those blown out hoses to good use!

One thing I would have done differently is to have separate access to the hutch area so you needn't lift the entire roof- but I know guys sometimes put up resistance when you ask for too many things at once! :x

I'm sure Big Bertha is happy in her new home, and I hope you get a nice litter out of her. Be sure to post pics as the family grows!

We have dubbed it the Doe Doublewide. The bucks will have a Bachelor Duplex. Ha!

I didn't see the need for the trim on the outside of the wire, but you're right that it will help deter predators.

The bucks will get the same pen but we'll divide it down the middle, hutch as well, and add another hutch door of course.

We're going to wait and see if the food in the feeder gets wet from rain. I suggested screwing it to the hutch but, well, I wasn't holding the screw gun when that was put in. ;) We'll move it later to protect the food from the weather.

I hadn't noticed the feeder placement before- if it has a partially screened back, and/or no lid, the feed will get wet. Maybe you could just make a hood for that area so it is still convenient to fill.

I love it, too. Keep us updated on how it works out for you. I'd like to hear about how oftan you move it, how quickly they eat the grass down to nothing, problems with pests like ear-mites or worms, etc.

Love it! Very nicely built.
MamaSheepdog":6cu5s5sk said:
I also like the hose pull handle... it is nice to be able to put those blown out hoses to good use!
Ha! Didn't notice that. Awesome! :p

That looks great! My only comment is if the entire bottom isn't covered with wire, she WILL dig out and they can do it REALLY fast!

Looks good i love recycling wood.we are tearing down a shed this year im hoping too save the 2 by fours.

Here's a question for everyone.... what if we used vinyl house siding instead of plywood for the hutch area? We're trying to make the hutches lighter.

The bottom of the hutch will be full wire and we'd still frame it out in wood like the rest of the pen.

Will it be okay for kits in the winter? Do you see any issues with using the siding? We have a bunch we can recycle from a job site.

Here's the hutch area

001-5.jpg

We would use it like Greg did on this poultry pen he finished last night.

007-2.jpg

I think the rabbits would be warm enough sheltered from wind and rain/snow. The only issue I see with using vinyl siding is that they may chew it. Putting wire in the hutch area would prevent chewing, but bedding will get between the wire and the siding which will be difficult to clean out.

Horses often chew the wood of their pasture fences, and a lot of people will make a slurry of cayenne pepper and apply that, but it wears off quickly. One guy hit on a better solution- he didn't have cayenne, so he used black pepper, but he mixed it with the paint and painted it on. It worked- the horses aren't eating his fence. If there is a paint that adheres to vinyl, maybe you could try that.

It's a rabbit tractor, pretty cool. Put a couple handles on it and some wheels on one end and one person could move it around.

We have a rope handle on the front and I pull them to new grass every morning. No wheels necessary but we still want them a bit lighter weight.

The vinyl would go to the ground on the outside so there wouldn't be any edges for them to latch onto on the inside except where the siding 'grooves' or weaves or undulates or whatever you'd like to call it. lol I'm considering seeing we can build the hutch frame out of PVC so we don't have a wood-rot problem from pee.

Back