Our first 100 degree day

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMTex

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I thought it was about time. The two major cities closest to us showed 98 and 97, but our temp gauge showed 100.4 in the shade. I could have sworn the humidity was up in the 90s as well, but we don't have a humidity gauge.

It was 91 at 10:00 A.M. and I went to make sure the kits were ok. The sun was hitting the roof of one of the nesting rooms and I touched the top of it. It was so hot I couldn't keep my hand on it. Opening it up, I could feel the heat radiating from the underside. The kits were buried under lots of hay and fur to escape the heat.

I had some foil tape left over from repairing our air conditioner some months ago, so I used a bunch of that to make the roof reflective. That sure made a difference. I also had some thin foam insulation and used it on the sides and top of the nesting room.

Most of the rabbit run is shaded by the portable carport thingy, but the sun was able to sneak into the corner where the nesting room sits. I'll have to get some shadecloth or something tomorrow.

We've had some 100+ days already and it has been brutal, especially when we got to 106. I gave the rabbits water bottles at 11 am! I'm in far west TX in the desert and summer is going to be hard on these guys.

We've been near 100*, but not quite there.

Our humidity gauge read 90% the other night. Blech. We keep a thermomether/humidity gauge inside the rabbitry now (found it at a thrift store!), and I'm sure the humidity is a little higher inside the rabbitry than outside. Not much, though, because air flows pretty freely through the pickets and fencing.

We're still sitting in the low 70's here but it's only a matter of time. We're in East San Diego County which is high desert, not the beach that everyone pictures.

It's the only thing I don't like about my beloved Texas...

Supposed to get to 105 today and no breeze anywhere. I just sprayed down all the animal pens with water. My poor kid is lifeguarding during the hot shift today. Hope her sunscreen holds up.

Definitely not going to complain about our mid-70s and rainy day now. It's pretty muggy, but the fans going in the garage(s) are keeping the buns nice and cool.

Good luck to all you Texans in the heat. I'd join you if I could - sadly, I'm the only one in the family who is happy when it's 90+.

In the process of breaking down the entire "rabbitry" and moving it to a MUCH shadier part of the property. They are in temporary housing now, with a fan, in the shade while I work my butt off trying to get them better situated before the weekend.

IT.IS.HOT.

Your charming Texas heat wave is headed here.

Today the forecast is for 96F, tomorrow 101F, Saturday 105F, Sunday and Monday 107F. And that is in the mountains, folks, at an elevation of over 4000 feet. Saturday through Tuesday there is the possibility of thunder storms, so it will be humid as well. Oh, joy.

I'm almost done with the finishing touches on my shade cloth and misting systems, so the buns will be comfy I hope. :)

Back