Orphaned kit question - Cecotrope

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Generic_User

Reaction score
Hey guys, just recently lost my colony to RHDV2. So far the kits are coming up on the end of their incubation period, so I am crossing my fingers. They are 2 weeks old, and are eating well, but I have no access to cecotropes. Is there anything I can do to wean them without it? The only rabbit I have left is a 6 week old male that luckily never got put with the others.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    46.7 MB
Do they still have a Doe? 2 weeks is very early to wean
From the sound of it they're orphaned :(

They should have had some bacterial input from their mother, providing they nursed from her before she passed away. The doe will deposit bacteria on her fur when she washes herself, which the kits pick up when they feed from her.

I successfully raised 5 babies last year from 1 week old, following the death of their mother (suspected RHD2). I concentrated on building a good digestive system with them using something we can get in the UK called Fibreplex, which I added to their formula milk. I'm sure this helped to preserve the bacteria/microbiome they already had; like the OP I couldn't give them caecotropes.
https://www.protexinvet.com/fibreplex/p26

I've in the past run a healthy older kit in with young kits and that has done the trick quite nicely. Easier, generally, to do with a buck kit than a doe kit. So i'd run that 6 week old with the youngers.

Latest posts

Back