Opinions on new feed program?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boundarybunnyco

Reaction score
I'm thinking of changing up the feed program here. I love the Pfaus pellets, but they are pretty spendy.I will not buy the cheaper brands as I'm convinced that doing so, contributed to the loss of over 20 rabbits this winter. What I want to do is this. I have been adding greens to the feed program daily. We have grass, clover, alfalfa, dandelions, and many other options abundant here. I'm thinking of buying one bag each of Pfaus pellets, oats, wheat, barley, and mixing them. Then feed that along with their greens, and of course their daily handful of hay. I got some of those little rabbit salt wheels at the feed store. Some are white, some are reddish, and they are 29 cents. do the red ones have minerals? sometimes I buy the blocks that are about the size of a brick, and break them up. I also feed the buns bananas once or twice a month, and sometimes apples or carrots.
We are feeding 100 lbs of pellets per week, at 18 dollars plus tax per 50 lb bag. I'm trying to figure out a great feed program for the buns, and for my budget. I have unlimited access to greens, but I want to be sure they get their minerals etc. How much grass/greens to feed each day? How much pellet/grain mix? How much hay? Is hay necessary if you are feeding greens? :idea: Suggestions and ideas greatly appreciated.

What you are planning sounds perfectly viable. You might want to feed the grains and pellets on consecutive days rather than mixed. They may scrabble and waste trying to get their favourite ingredients. I'm not sure it is necessary to feed three grains. Any two should be enough. Continue the hay... They may eat less of it when given copious greens, but should have it available. They need the trace mineral salt blocks, the reddish ones... either spool or chunk is fine. Increase the greens over a period of time rather than all at once and your buns should do well. They will not grow quite as fast as before, but that is normal when feeding more natural foods.

Maggie, thanks for your input. I have been adding the greens for a few weeks now. A little at a time. On payday I'm going to go ahead and purchase barley and oats, or oats and wheat, and offer it to the rabbits. I've got three litters now, about 3 weeks and 1 month, and they are really starting to chow down! They eat everything I throw at them, right along with the mamas. I'm also going to read the thread on natural feeding. thanks again!

You're very welcome. Yes, do read the natural feeding forum... we do our best to provide for your kind of situation. Ask questions! And make all changes gradually so as not to stress the rabbits' digestive systems. It really is their weakness.

boundarybunnyco":2o0350zq said:
I'm thinking of changing up the feed program here. I love the Pfaus pellets, but they are pretty spendy.I will not buy the cheaper brands as I'm convinced that doing so, contributed to the loss of over 20 rabbits this winter. What I want to do is this. I have been adding greens to the feed program daily. We have grass, clover, alfalfa, dandelions, and many other options abundant here. I'm thinking of buying one bag each of Pfaus pellets, oats, wheat, barley, and mixing them. Then feed that along with their greens, and of course their daily handful of hay. I got some of those little rabbit salt wheels at the feed store. Some are white, some are reddish, and they are 29 cents. do the red ones have minerals? sometimes I buy the blocks that are about the size of a brick, and break them up. I also feed the buns bananas once or twice a month, and sometimes apples or carrots.
We are feeding 100 lbs of pellets per week, at 18 dollars plus tax per 50 lb bag. I'm trying to figure out a great feed program for the buns, and for my budget. I have unlimited access to greens, but I want to be sure they get their minerals etc. How much grass/greens to feed each day? How much pellet/grain mix? How much hay? Is hay necessary if you are feeding greens? :idea: Suggestions and ideas greatly appreciated.

Did you do it? This is what I was thinking of doing. I have read good things about Pfaus and I was thinking of oats, barley, beet pulp and BOSS. I also have the greens. I do not have that many rabbits so I give them vegetables each day, but I think it will not work for the kits. If you did this, how often do you feed this to them?

All greens are not equal. They vary with type, maturity, soil fertility and time of year. Legumes such as clover are quite high in protein and probably the best if you can gather them in quantity but they should be varied with other types such as dandelion, prickly lettuce and grass. I always considered the value of hay more for the fiber than the feed value but if the weeds you gather are mature enough to already have a lot of fiber the need for hay is less but it's best to have some available for them. You can seldom meet their protein and complete vitamin needs with greens alone so it's best to supplement with grains. I use a mix of wheat, barley, oats and BOSS. A good way to find out how much grain to feed is to see how much they will clean up in 30 minutes but some individual rabbits will pig out on grains and ignore the greens so feed them grain only after they have had the greens. I only feed pellets in a pinch when I can't find enough wild greens. I'm cheap so I prefer as much free food as possible.
I raise meat rabbits. Show rabbits are a whole different ball game.

I also feed alfalfa hay and a grain mix. Currently my mix is 4 parts each of oats and barley to 1 part each of BOSS and beet pulp. I feed greens and weeds as the seasons allow. Right now they are not getting much fresh forage, and not on a daily basis.

I would like to report that I attended a show last weekend and brought 5 Rex rabbits, and the judges liked them- one of my bucks took BOSB out of seventeen entries. Some of the other rabbits on the table received negative remarks on their condition, but no such comments were made on mine. I specifically asked one of the judges afterward about the condition of my animals, explaining my feeding protocol, and she said that if she didn't comment on poor condition, then obviously my feed regimen was working. :)

MamaSheepdog":39qojsc4 said:
I also feed alfalfa hay and a grain mix. Currently my mix is 4 parts each of oats and barley to 1 part each of BOSS and beet pulp. I feed greens and weeds as the seasons allow. Right now they are not getting much fresh forage, and not on a daily basis.

I would like to report that I attended a show last weekend and brought 5 Rex rabbits, and the judges liked them- one of my bucks took BOSB out of seventeen entries. Some of the other rabbits on the table received negative remarks on their condition, but no such comments were made on mine. I specifically asked one of the judges afterward about the condition of my animals, explaining my feeding protocol, and she said that if she didn't comment on poor condition, then obviously my feed regimen was working. :)

Good, that is always the question people ask about grain/pelletless feeding.

I knew you had been wondering about it, Sky, but couldn't remember the last thread we discussed it in. I was pleased, since I raise primarily for meat but am still interested in showing. I'd much rather eat rabbit that is fed a more natural diet and wouldn't want to go back to pellets for my "show string".

hoodat":1z1xulxs said:
All greens are not equal. They vary with type, maturity, soil fertility and time of year. Legumes such as clover are quite high in protein and probably the best if you can gather them in quantity but they should be varied with other types such as dandelion, prickly lettuce and grass. I always considered the value of hay more for the fiber than the feed value but if the weeds you gather are mature enough to already have a lot of fiber the need for hay is less but it's best to have some available for them. You can seldom meet their protein and complete vitamin needs with greens alone so it's best to supplement with grains. I use a mix of wheat, barley, oats and BOSS. A good way to find out how much grain to feed is to see how much they will clean up in 30 minutes but some individual rabbits will pig out on grains and ignore the greens so feed them grain only after they have had the greens. I only feed pellets in a pinch when I can't find enough wild greens. I'm cheap so I prefer as much free food as possible.

Don't think you are cheap at all. If you are in the right climate and you know there are no pollutants in your grounds, heck I would be doing the same thing. But when the cold comes, it all goes away here. Look forward to the Spring, the bunny run and garden will be full of tasty morsels once again. Look forward to those dandelion seeds. My husband wants to start them inside. I can see our grow room downstairs expanding. Like to do clover too.

Karen

ZRabbits":e258vs1a said:
hoodat":e258vs1a said:

Don't think you are cheap at all. If you are in the right climate and you know there are no pollutants in your grounds, heck I would be doing the same thing. But when the cold comes, it all goes away here. Look forward to the Spring, the bunny run and garden will be full of tasty morsels once again. Look forward to those dandelion seeds. My husband wants to start them inside. I can see our grow room downstairs expanding. Like to do clover too.

Karen

I should be able to get those seeds to you soon. The patch of wild Italian clover I gather from is going through a bloom period right now so seeds should be coming on in a week or two. If you can get them growing inside they should be off to a good start when you transplant in the Spring.

ZRabbits":5tbq8he9 said:
hoodat":5tbq8he9 said:

Karen

So looking forward to the spring, as it is impossible to grow anything in this house in winter as well. I am looking forward tot that patch of clover growing again in the spring.

Latest posts

Back