Opal ???** Updated Pics **

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miniquilts

Reaction score
My little chocolate doe Hershey had 7 beautiful babies last night/ early this morning. 3 of them are Chestnuts and I think the other 4 are Opals but not sure if I am calling them the right colour.

Belly Shot :)

Picture of Momma - Hershey

Picture of the daddy - Pee Wee - need to update this pic as he was just a baby in this photo

The babies -

and

I was very surprised to see that there are no solids at all in this litter - they all have white/pink bellies. Where she is a solid and him a Harlequin I expected at least some solids

Most harlequins have the agouti gene (as opposed to torted harlies), so it's a lot like breeding to a chestnut. If the kit is blue, with a white belly, it's an opal.

Congratulations on the 7 beautiful babies! Just learning colors and patterns myself. Wish I could help, but know others will give you some understanding regarding the color and why no solids.

Again Congratulations!

Karen

The dark ones look like chestnuts, but the others look too light for opals, or maybe that's the flash. The could be ambers if the buck carries chocolate.

This was a test breeding to see if he carried chocolate or not - I know nothing about amber's , do they have a pink belly?

miniquilts":x8hotj0y said:
This was a test breeding to see if he carried chocolate or not - I know nothing
about amber's , do they have a pink belly?

Yes, Ambers are chocolate agouti. In a few days we will see more color and it will be more obvious. If they are, then he carries chocolate. They look so beautiful, I can't hardly wait to see more pictures.

I can't wait until they fur out more , I will be keeping one of the dilute if any are female to breed back to the Harlequin buck :)

If they have pink bellies, they are agoutis. But they almost look like my holland torts. Maybe the buck is a torted tri?

Turn them over so we can see if your idea of a pink belly is what we are thinking.
In the mean time check these. http://www.gbfarm.org/rabbit/holland-co ... band.shtml

in a few more days it might be more obvious.

I love color what's it threads.

K - will snap some more photo's of them - give me a sec to upload them :)<br /><br />__________ Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:25 pm __________<br /><br />Belly shot added :)

They all look solid to me. There are no brokens. It seems you might have some shadeds though..the light silvery ones look like siamese sables. as they fur in you will be able to tell better, it will only take about a week :)

is it possible the lighter ones are lilacs? I am really not sure but I have had opals and mine looked more blue. Im not seeing the lighter ears, the first picture the belly looks white but its so hard to tell when they are that young, going to have to wait a few more days I am thinking.

Back