Opal to Chestnut?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarsLops

Reaction score
While I have done some research on genetics, I'm still learning A LOT, so please bare with me. Last month I bred my chestnut mini lop buck (out of a chestnut and a gold-tipped black steel with squirrel, chinchilla, opal, and seal point on his pedigree besides other chestnuts and steels) to my opal doe (I have not received her pedigree yet :evil: so I don't know what she is out of). I was dying to see what colors I would get, but the breeding didn't take. I re-bred her, but I don't know that I can last another month without some idea of what colors I can get (I know, I'm way too excited :lol: ). Can one of our genetics experts *cough*dood*cough* please give me an idea of what I can expect? Am I just going to end up with more chestnuts and opals?

You can get chestnuts, opals if your buck carries dilute, and possibly selfs if both carry self. I'm not familiar with steels so I don't know how that effects things. Chinchilla might also be a possibility, and squirrel too if the buck carries dilute. So, basically, hope he carries dilute and you should get a decent variety! :)

Your chestnut buck is - A_ B_ C_ D_ E_

His chestnut parents are no help in filling in the blanks but he 'could' carry chinchilla, sable and dilute from a grandparent, but not steel as this is a dominant trait so there is no chance of gold tipped steels. If you could share what colour his siblings or any kits he's produced it would help.

An opal doe is almost the exact same except she'll have two dilution genes - A_ B_ C_ dd E_

With this breeding you will definitely get chestnuts and I would tentatively say you'll get opal. The genotypes are too incomplete to speculate further.

Thanks everyone!

The buck has never been bred before, but his littermates were all either chestnut or gold tipped black steel. When I bred his brother from the same litter back to his mom, it produced blacks for sure and I think the two that I lost were chestnut and gold tipped black steel. The one that I thought was steel could have been another black though.

Yes, they are. I had heard about false black, but I thought that it was when you bred shaded to ticked. Guess I have even more to learn than I thought!

Latest posts

Back