Opal and broken opal

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

floridabelle

Reaction score
Does anyone know what colors are most likely to be produced by breeding a broken opal Buck to an opal doe? What about a broken opal Buck to broken chocolate doe?

Broken Opal x Opal = you should get 50% broken patterned and only in blue.

You may only get opal and broken opal but other colours are possible if both parents carry recessives such as blue, blue chin or sable, blue fawn (AKA cream) blue tort, blue himilayan or REW

The broken opal crossed on a chocolate will produce mostly chestnuts and broken chestnuts

UNLESS the buck carries chocolate and/or the chocolate carries blue, then should get a few (roughly 25%) of one of these - opal, chocolate agouti or lynx or if they share other recessives possibly black, blue, lilac, black and blue and lilac chin or sable,black blue or lilac fawn etc...

Thank you, dood! I'm getting the broken opal Buck and opal doe today so i'll ask what the parents are. I should mention these are mini rex.

Since they are both dilute you will only get dilute colors: opal & blue. And, as Dood said, if they carry the other recessives: self, brown, chin, or non-extension, you could get lilac, lynx, fawn, or beige [chocolate chin]. No chance of getting any dense colors though, like: castor, chocolate, black or amber. Those could only come if you had at least one parent that carried dense.

Latest posts

Back