Ooops! They're HOW OLD?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dayna

Reaction score
Okay, I admit. Things have been busy, crazy, busy. My daughter is going off to college on the 19th a year early!

I took a job butchering organic chickens a couple days a month for a friend. Pays $10/hour (cash!) plus I get to take home a butchered chicken. :) Round these parts, that's a really good wage!

I have a few side projects going on with some chicken breeding.

So I thought to myself tonight, Oh, I bet those rabbits are big enough to sell now... So I looked on here to see the birth date. Feb 18th.

Uh, yeah plenty old enough to sell now!!!!! Heck past butchering age even. And yeah, all mixed together males and females.

So I separated them tonight.

Guess I should put a nest box in with the girls?

The girls:

10491989_10203179354419416_1915777254930835264_n.jpg

The boys;

10433890_10203179353779400_2276778574966829327_n.jpg

I have butchered some at 17 weeks that is older than I wanted but, life happens. Just cook slow and low, I make pulled bunny with ones that are more mature. :)
Your boys look upset Like "Hey where are the girls!" :lol:

They are hiding because they were just "violated" when I sexed them. Lets just say they didn't want me messing with their private parts!

I'm sure some of the females could be pregnant.

On the cooking thing, I've yet to have a "tough" or "dry" rabbit. Regardless of the age. :) I ate a 1 year old a couple months back and she was delicious!

dayna":2o1invsl said:
On the cooking thing, I've yet to have a "tough" or "dry" rabbit. Regardless of the age. :) I ate a 1 year old a couple months back and she was delicious!

No offense intended. I'm sure you know how to cook. I have eaten much older rabbits as well. Your rabbits are beautiful by the way..

Oh no! I didn't take any offense, I was just commenting on how fabulous rabbit is regardless of age. :) Sometimes I let them grow really big just so I can have a 4 pound rabbit to make a good pot meal. :)

I traded two females for $20 cash and all this bounty! YUM. They are going to give the girls some nestboxes and if they don't give birth within 30 days breed them to their male for meat rabbits for the dinner table. :) On the left hand side is a TON of basil so I'll be making some pesto tomorrow. YUMMMMMM. Hmm, I wonder what rabbit dish I can pair with pesto?! Rabbit ravioli?

10568805_10203184962159606_5451515168905306605_n.jpg

They are lovely, Dayna. Hmmm, let us know if there are any popple surprises!

I did have to laugh when I looked at your girl vs boy pictures. The girls look laid back: they're eating, resting, checking out the scenery, no big deal. The boys are in a traumatized clump, looking pouty, nose-to-butts, upset. Poor boys! I'm sure they didn't expect to have their p's and q's checked out. After being with the boys it looks like the girls were pretty bland about having someone check up on their business...yeah, nest boxes would be good!

Would this be a return of the Curse of Mystang? <br /><br /> __________ Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:34 pm __________ <br /><br />
dayna":sdfzst5u said:
I traded two females for $20 cash and all this bounty!

N-I-c-e! Maybe letting them go longer than you intended is turning out to be a good thing!

Well I made a HUGE salad last night with all sorts of veg in it. Soooo good! Today I finally got to the store for some pine nuts so I'll take all the basil and make pesto. YUM.

So far none of the babies have had babies. lol Poor things. I really need to pay closer attention to the calendar.

Oh wow! I almost never use the slow cooker, however my oven is an outdoor propane oven so the food coming from it is always moist. That might help. <br /><br /> __________ Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:53 pm __________ <br /><br /> Wait, I made kickers on the grill the other night with bbq sauce and they were super moist. I think that maybe these old recipes that call for low and slow were from hunting days.

Latest posts

Back