Only one popple from doe, should I transfer...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TriumphTriple

Reaction score
My NZ doe just had one single kit today. Pretty sad that is all she had. This is her second litter and the previous litter was 5.

I want to breed her again, I don't see the point of now waiting 4-6 more weeks to breed her again. I just see it as a waste of time and feed to stop everything for her to raise one rabbit. I had two other rabbits kindle 2 days ago. My idea is to take that one popple and put it with another doe that has only 5 popples that were born 2 days ago. Then breed the NZ doe again in about a week.

What are your thoughts on this? Thank you.

I would definitely do that. The kit will probably have better survival chances with more kits to help keep it warm.
Fostering is usually as simple as picking a kit up out of one nest and plopping it into the other.
Most does take foster kits with no problems, but if you are worried you can remove the nestbox for an hour or so, so that the new kit can pick up the scent of the others.

Putting something on a does face to prevent her from smelling is totally unnecessary. I freely swap kits from nest to nest during the first week of life and have never had a problem.

Actually, the only scent that has triggered aggression in one of my does was the smell of a buck. (Oddly, only in certain does at certain times...I'm still puzzling that one out)

Thank you for confirming that Zass. Doing some searching that is what I found too. Much more at ease now. She is a 2nd time mom and she raised her first litter of 5 wonderfully.

If she's a good milker..........USE HER..!! for that purpose and that purpose
only. Why? waste time with her....take advantage of the situation and (I'm
assuming) you've got another NZ doe.... breed the one that has more kits.

If not, foster the youngster and give the NZ doe one-more-chance.
If she doesn't do any better....cull her.
She's pretty much "told" you she's not worth a flip as a strong producer.

Grumpy.

grumpy":117yw667 said:
If she's a good milker..........USE HER..!! for that purpose and that purpose
only. Why? waste time with her....take advantage of the situation and (I'm
assuming) you've got another NZ doe.... breed the one that has more kits.

If not, foster the youngster and give the NZ doe one-more-chance.
If she doesn't do any better....cull her.
She's pretty much "told" you she's not worth a flip as a strong producer.

Grumpy.

:yeahthat:

As a NZ she's really lacking in the production of kits even just the 5 kits is sad for a NZ doe

I agree with the others- my NZ does have between 9 and 13 kits per litter. I don't think kits from a line that produces such small numbers is one I would want to continue.

Thank you for the tips. Since every doe I have is on their first or second litter, I am giving them the 3 strike rule. I am looking forward to selectively breeding them.

Latest posts

Back