Only one baby?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mizemama

Reaction score
I just had a doe kindle and found just the one baby. She's already left the nest box, so can I assume she's done? If she does just have the one, will he be alright alone in the nest. The temps here are pretty warm, 86 right now. Is that warm enough, or should I bring him in and warm him up?

Any other tips would be great! This is our first litter, so we're new to babies. Thanks!

She may not be done, I've had does stop then start again 24 hours later

As long as there is plenty of fur the kit should be fine

Assuming she doesn't have any more and is in good body condition, you may want to re-breed her in the next 72 hours as nursing one kit wont be too taxing on her system

"IF" you bought the doe as adult......that may well be the reason
she was for sale in the first place. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Think about it, there's shyster's out there all the time. Young stock
grown in the environment they'll be producing in is always better
than the "time-gained" buying unknown older stock. ;) ;)

Dood":2i6bdfle said:
Assuming she doesn't have any more and is in good body condition, you may want to re-breed her in the next 72 hours as nursing one kit wont be too taxing on her system

My doe had a litter of 8, the 1, then 2. (She is due any day now, so I'll let you know what the litter count is this time)
She is over 2 years old. But when I had just the one kit I didn't think to rebreed, and I forced nursed on every teat once or twice a day, and the kit turned out fine with no harm to mama. :) I'm actually going to babysit the kit (Pumpkin) in a few weeks. (I sold her to a friend.)

Just hope she's not done. Maybe it's her or maybe it's the buck. I have no idea what your set up is like, outside, inside, AC/heat, fans, daily temps. All of which can influence the breeding. But the key is in the gens. If the doe was "proven"/older then the breeder might have just wanted to unload a less productive doe.

Personally, I have a very nice looking doe, but she is refusing to lift for any buck. Did get my buck to "fall off" day before yesterday. So only time will tell.

I have a goal to have 28 rabbits at freezer camp by the end of the year. That would be 2 litters of 7 for each doe. Any rabbit that can't help me reach that goal is dinner. I don't have the time, want, or resources to keep any critter that can't reach the goals I set.

Just my 2 pence,
Cathy

Sorry I disappeared!

She ended up with three babies, which all seem to be doing well.

I can't remember if she had any litters with her previous owner for sure, but I'm leaning towards no. We got a trio from the same lady with the intentions of breeding right away, but we had some things come up around the house that kept putting that off. So if she has had a littler, it's probably been close to 18 months at least.

I was kind of thinking the length of time and the heat may account for the smaller litter. We'll hope for better next time. And hopefully my second doe will take next time as well. I know for sure she's never had a litter.

Back