Only my bucks have diarrhea!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So Saturday I noticed my Cal buck Phantom had diarrhea, as I went to feed I spotted some on the floor of the cage, I checked his bother #3, and he was clean, I flipped Phantom over, and bingo! He had diarrhea stuck to his butt, and tail. I brought him into the house where it was cooler, gave him some oats, and fresh water. By Sunday he was pooping normally, so I took him back out to his brother. Monday rolled by like usual, still normal poop. This morning I came out to see both had diarrhea on their back ends. :( I brought them both back into the house so I could keep an eye on them. Offered them oats once again, and they ate them up quick! Not too much of a great change in their dropping yet.

So here's some info. We got our bucks about 2 weeks ago. Very slowly got them adapted to our brand of food, and they took to it just fine. Nothing at all has changed. I haven't given them anything different, haven't moved them (other than when I saw the diarrhea the first time, and this time.) The does in the cage above them are perfectly fine. Over the weekend we had a big heat wave come through, but all of the rabbit did good.

The bucks are still eating, and drinking normally, but seem a tiny bit more tired than they usually are. The ONLY thing I have noticed is that they are chewing the crap out of the wood in their hutch, which I do believe is untreated wood, and the does on the top do not chew the wood. I've bugged the crap out of DBA trying to figure out what could be wrong since we got all our Cals from him, and he knew them best. He said that since they were acting okay he feels, they are just adjusting still, and that the diarrhea will pass, and not to worry too much, but what am I sitting here doing?! That's right, worrying my little butt off!

I really feel like it's them chewing at the wood that is causing the diarrhea. What do you guys think?

2week transition of food is not very carefully. It's pretty standard and sometimes not quite enough depending on other factors. Do not bring them in and out if you have ac on and it is hot outside. You will stress them every time you do it and could even kill them from the temp swings depending how bad it is. Sometimes the change in scenery and noise of the surroundings is enough to throw them back off. Just adjust their food and leave them where they are unless they show signs of increasing distress. They may not have made the transition as well as they needed to and you might have to go to oatmeal for awhile. When they have solid poop on oatmeal then do not just throw pellets back in. That's much like the temp swing from moving them. It will add stress. Treat the oatmeal to pellet switch much like you would a pellet to pellet switch. They need a nice stable environment as far as temperature, location, and food to adjust to without all these changes that keep happening.

I agree with Akane that changes in a rabbit's life can be very upsetting to them and as their digestive systems are their weak point, it is not surprising that they sometimes develop problems such as diarrhea.

Remove the pellets and all treats. Give grass-hay and kitchen oatmeal (the old fashioned kind) and make sure they have plenty of fresh water. When the diarrhea has been gone for a couple of days and their poop returns to normal, begin to add back the pellets v-e-r-y slowly.

There are several plants that are useful in treating diarrhea. The leaves of blackberry, raspberry and strawberry are all good, as are the lawn weeds plantain and shepherd's purse. It is a good idea to have some of these available fresh in summer and dried for winter use. There are several Plantago species and any can be used but the one below is common and very widespread.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantago_major
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsella_bursa-pastoris

What ever hit your herd earlier in July may have reared its ugly head again with the heat stressing out the rabbits :shrug:

Are they still in the solid bottom cages?

They will be sluggish if they are dehydrated as well.

If they are chewing wood they may need more fibre in their diet - try giving them 2" diameter sections of fresh Willow branches to destroy

It could also be from frustration at not being able to visit the lovely lady rabbits, and the only solution is to put them in an all wire cage

Either way, wood is impossible to disinfect and by eating it the rabbits are possibly getting large doses of pathogens which are contributing to the problem

Dood raises some good points about the wood-chewing. Giving them the sections or willow as she suggests will likely distract them from chewing the wood of their cages. Most rabbits love willow bark.

Thank you all for the advice! I got some plantain weed from the yard, and he is eating it now. He seems like he lost weight over night, it's scaring me! He will not stop chewing on ANYTHING around him seriously it's everything! Giving lots, and lots of water. Still very active, something just seems off to me.

Yes they are still in the solid bottom cage, and I completely clean it everyday. The wire hutch will be done this weekend, all that's left to do is one wall, and the doors, and that will not take long at all.

I would give him willow bark, but there is NO willow trees around here. I mean people have them, but I haven't seen any in this town.

In my understanding, apple tree wood is one of the safest woods for rabbits to gnaw on and apple trees are usually plentiful.

I DO NOT KNOW if they are appropriate in this situation, because I don't know if apple wood might contribute to their runny poop issue. Wait for someone who knows more to confirm my suggestion before you try it. :p

Good luck with your bunnies.

As far as I know, any rabbit-safe tree could be used. Willow is especially good because it has pain-relieving qualities, but sugar maple or silver maple are safe and so is poplar/cottonwood and apple or pear wood.

You can certainly give it to them fresh off the tree. Best to give them a section off the branch, rather than just the bark. Once the bark is gone, the branch gives them something more solid to chew on, which is what they seem to be craving.

I'm glad you found some plantain. It is among the safest of greens for bunnies of all ages and has excellent medicinal qualities as well.

I grabbed I swear a pound of plantain from the yard, and have it drying. I gave them 2 leaves each. I also stripped quite a bit of bark off my maple tree. Once my husband gets home I'll have him cut a few small branches, because I can't reach them. Haha.

Good for you, snagging all that plantain. :) It can literally be a lifesaver for a rabbit with diarrhea. It's okay to give them more than just two leaves each. The reason for restricting new greens is because they may cause diarrhea if the rabbit is not accustomed to them. You won't have that problem with the five plants I mentioned in my previous post, so feel free to give them each a nice little bouquet of plantain leaves.

Hi
I noticed this topic yesterday when searching for answers as to why my rabbit has diarrhea. I hope I'm posting in right place.
I've started a lot of things you have already suggested and he seemed better until this morning.
I'm going to get oats and barley shortly.
I mixed up the 'save a chick' powders but then he wouldn't drink. I added a tad bit more water to a fresh mixture and waiting to see if he will drink. I hadn't had any trouble with him drinking till today. I put his water in the water bottle since he's spilling the bowl of water. He purposely nudges it over. lol He usually prefers the water bottle but figured I'd try anything to get him drinking again.
He also has a glob of dried poo below his tail I didn't notice till now.
So I have began to hold a slightly damp and warmed clothe there every few hours and spread vaseline around the area.
If I understand correctly he can't be in water and also I must be careful not to pull on the glob since their skin tears easily.
Is there anything else I can do that isn't already suggested for Becca? Also what kind of pellets shall I give him when I transition him back to food. He's a pet and not a show rabbit. The people I purchased him from last year are breeders and suggested a food not available in my area.I started him on Russel Rabbit Food but he only eats the stuff off the top and not the pellets. I used to give him yogurt treats but took everything away but oatmeal, alfalfa, and Timothy Hay.
Nothing has changed but maybe his diet needs to for the better.
Appreciate any help and thanks in advance. :)

Latest posts

Back