One of our new rabbits has something wrong with it.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you move each foot individually? If so I would say conformation flaw or birth defect just make the feet point wrong. You can see it as a much more minor fault in show rabbits sometimes. If the feet cannot be separated so you can't move them individually and the rabbit can't "walk" like rabbits sometimes do I would say injury or birth defect to the lower spine or hips has fused bone in the lower body. Either way I doubt you can do anything and I doubt the rabbit feels pain or it wouldn't so eagerly and quickly hop off. Do not breed unless it can be proven as not genetic and otherwise just watch quality of life to make sure the rabbit doesn't start acting like it's in pain from possibly stress farther up the spine.

I will have to mess with her more tomorrow to see. The bad thing is the lady we got her from stuck the buck we bought in the same box as her as a "favor" without even asking us if we wanted her bred. I don't want to pass this on but she is already bred.

This is the rabbit that my 11yo daughter bought. She spent her own money to buy rabbits as her first money venture. She is my "right hand" with the rabbits and I told her that she could use my cages and she could work off the feed they eat but she had to buy the rabbits with her own money. I am thinking I need to encourage her to buy a couple more so when the time comes for her to "cut her loses" on this one she will have others that may not be "loses". I also bought a lop and bred my dds buck to her so maybe I will give her half the litter to raise or sell as she sees fit.

You might be able to keep a good doe from the litter as replacement. At least an improved doe unless the buck had the same flaw and only produces flaws. If you want to encourage a good breeding program a child does need to learn the initial animals will often be replaced as you improve your lines except the occasional pet in some families that is no longer bred. Personally I would not send on any of the other offspring or that doe to other breeders. I would send them to pet homes or butcher. Even the good ones will be carrying the genetics for the flaw to possibly show up later so some of their offspring will not be any good. Then make sure the buck you use is very straight and you can fit several fingers between his heels when he's set up. Encouraging to buy a few more does after better knowledge to judge them would be a good idea if you want to allow your child to get a breeding program going.

Hello Legacy,
I watched your video it looks like
some form of Cow Hocks. Whatever it is
I would not breed that rabbit nor would I
save any of it's offspring.In a case like this
you just have to chalk it off to: Experience or
Lack of experience. I would certainly not have
any dealings with that "Breeder? ever again!
There are too many good reputable breeders
and rabbits to be had. I am sorry that you
had to deal with this.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Check the rangeof motion att he hip joint-- looks like a genetic issue, and quite frankly, reminds me of the little Dutch dwarf i had a few years ago that also had heart issues-- Can this rabbit sit up in a 'periscope' position? If not, CULL IT NOW!!! I see what could be potential paralysis issues...as the topline is stiff over the sacral pelvic joint, as well...

sommrluv":3eiywi41 said:
Can I ask an unrelated question about how you catch your rabbits to put them back?

LOL yes you can. Usually they run so much they are pretty tuckered out by the time we try to catch them and then I deploy my secret weapon; my 11yo dd. We call it "rabbit rodeo". LOL She loves it and the rabbits aren't traumatized or anything. It becomes a game to them too since they are used to her. If for some reason we need an "emergency catch" we use the fish net.<br /><br />__________ Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:34 am __________<br /><br />
ottersatin":3eiywi41 said:
Hello Legacy,
I would certainly not have
any dealings with that "Breeder? ever again!

Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

I was a little put off by the fact that she never mentioned it. But then I realized it's possible she didn't know. I know a good breeder would have thoroughly checked her out before selling her but I'm not sure she sold her knowing the defect without saying something. I didn't notice until I put her in the exercise pen. I guess if the lady never let her out of the cage to actually hop around it's possible; sad but possible that she never knew.

I would not use her for breeding.if shes already bred i wouldnt keep any babies out of her.looks like a bad case of cowhocks.

Thanks...we've been contemplating doing either full time pasture pens or just taking them out a few times a week. I have no shortage of fences and cages and dog runs...but catching them was one of the things I thought might be hard.

So sorry about your bun.

Well, Sommurluv, full time pens change the atmosphere . We've done that. It is a lot harder to catch them in their "home" than it is in a temporary exercise pen. For one thing, all the running and jumping around they do when we let them out, they don't do if they are out all the time. It's kind of like kids in a play ground. You let them out and they run and play like crazy but if they were in the play ground all the time, it wouldn't be special. Plus the rabbits "claim" the territory and if you try to catch them they view you as an intruder. With a temporary run, although they like it and love to run around in it, it isn't "home" so when some big person comes after them, it's not like the panic they feel when their safe place is being invaded. This is my observations for raising rabbits both ways.

When we had ours loose in the pen, we used a fish net while we were feeding them for them to get used to it. That was the only way we could catch a lot of them and even that wasn't easy because they will need places to hide in order to survive which means they will be able to hide from you as well.

Legacy":3ht2cgcs said:
I was a little put off by the fact that she never mentioned it. But then I realized it's possible she didn't know. I know a good breeder would have thoroughly checked her out before selling her but I'm not sure she sold her knowing the defect without saying something. I didn't notice until I put her in the exercise pen. I guess if the lady never let her out of the cage to actually hop around it's possible; sad but possible that she never knew.

Legacy,

You should be completely put off. There is no reason for a breeder not to know that a rabbit of that age had that issue. When did you get her? I would contact the breeder and ask for a replacement or my money back. If I had sold that rabbit to someone (and I would NOT have if I knew about it) I would want to make it right. You cannot use that rabbit in the manner that you intended to due to a pre-existing genetic condition. Honestly, I am not sure I would want ANY of her rabbits...they may carry it without you knowing. Seriously, she needs to make this right for you....

Shannon

This looks very similar to what's going on with Big Bertha except she can't move that fast and her feet aren't pointing out. At this point, she's almost dragging her rear half behind her. She's not in any pain that we can tell and has full range of motion when we manipulate her feet, legs and hips.

Have you made a decision on a diagnosis and what you're going to do?

Take it as a lesson...AND keep in mind not every one is like this. Some very nice people out there that will not do this. Don't let one sour apple ruin the rabbits for you and her.

Very very very pinched hips, do not breed. I HOPE she is not pregnant for your sake, with hips that narrow the likely hood of birthing issues and death as a result goes up a great deal..... Pet is okay as long as she continues to get around, but with it being that severe I would guess it will probably get worse to the point she can no longer get around on her own with use of her back legs and some thing will have to be done.

Honestly, I wouldn't even keep a baby from her for breeding out since she has such badly pinched hips. There are does that have pinched hips, but not to this degree that I know can be used for breeding and get better then them kids from. The chance of this extreme popping up or complications at birthing time would be too great for me to consider worth breeding. I would ask for a GOOD replacement from an unrelated doe/buck or my money back.

For Big Bertha's situation, if she has degenerated into dragging her hips, she needs to be culled now. Most rabbits will not show pain as they are a prey animal. With the progression, it sounds like she has hurt herself somehow and the progressive worsening of her condition seems to indicate an injury that will permanetly paralyze or eventually kill her. So sorry to hear about her progression.

Latest posts

Back