One kit survived - advice tonight please!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhWRabbitry

Reaction score
We had a litter of Mini Lops arrive about an hour and a 1/2 ago.
This doe has had difficulty in some litters.
There were only 3 and only one survived. It's a good sized one and looks good...
She did not pull much fur and this one was exposed for a few minutes before we found it and was a bit cool to the touch. We brought it in and it has been warming in a towel and doing well.
My question is: Would it be best to keep it in for the night? How long is it okay after kindling for it to be away from Momma? How soon do they usually nurse the first time?

Our rabbitry is not super cold (around 50 degrees) but still since it was cool to touch I'd rather keep it in the house tonight if that would be alright. We have another litter due tomorrow from a doe that usually has no difficulties. I'm thinking I may put this one with her litter if they come tomorrow.

It's extra important to me that we help make sure this one survives as we want to continue this does line and are thinking this might be her last litter.

Thanks so much!

I can only tell you what I would do in this situation. There are no absolutes. Does often do not feed their kits right away; it depends on when their milk comes in. The kit will not starve in the first 24 hours and probably there is some leeway even after that.

I would take the kit out (well wrapped en route) and give the doe a bit of time to see if she feeds it, but I would not leave it out overnight. Kits in small litters have trouble keeping warm and singletons have even more trouble. Why take chances?

If the doe does not feed the kit tonight, I would try again in the morning. If your other doe kindles within the next day or two, fostering this kit to her would give it the best chance of survival. Once successful fostering has taken place, you can help the first doe dry up by giving her some mint. Sage and catnip also work, but I personally favour mint. Most supermarkets these days sell bunches of fresh herbs if you do not have any in your garden.

Hope this helps!

MaggieJ":3irgy0ap said:
I can only tell you what I would do in this situation. There are no absolutes. Does often do not feed their kits right away; it depends on when their milk comes in. The kit will not starve in the first 24 hours and probably there is some leeway even after that.

I would take the kit out (well wrapped en route) and give the doe a bit of time to see if she feeds it, but I would not leave it out overnight. Kits in small litters have trouble keeping warm and singletons have even more trouble. Why take chances?

If the doe does not feed the kit tonight, I would try again in the morning. If your other doe kindles within the next day or two, fostering this kit to her would give it the best chance of survival. Once successful fostering has taken place, you can help the first doe dry up by giving her some mint. Sage and catnip also work, but I personally favour mint. Most supermarkets these days sell bunches of fresh herbs if you do not have any in your garden.

Hope this helps!

It does help! Thank you MaggieJ! I appreciate it!

Just a thought- she might not be done. I would keep an eye out to be sure.

*fingers crossed for the wee one*

Hang in there. I just had a Flemish have 5 on Thursday and almost 24 hours later to the minute she had 5 more. :?

edit: Oops,replied to the wrong person. :oops:
(knock it off MSD)

Well, no more have come at this point. Her last litter she had a terrible time and labored way past due. Only one kit was born last time. It was very large and dead. She didn't eat much for a few days and lost weight. Then started eating again and looking and acting great. My husband thought we should give it one final try breeding her, as we really wanted to keep one of her offspring. I'm thrilled this one has survived. I just want to make sure it gets fed!
I put it in with her last night for a few minutes. She was kinda spastic... sniffing at it, jumping back, not acting herself. She finally licked it a little and sat hovered over it briefly. I don't know if her milk had come in. I know the little one was trying to nurse. This morning I tried again. She kept jumping in and out of the nest box in a nervous way. She's a big girl and she's not the least careful. The little one was crying out - obviously wanting to nurse but she didn't let it try. I then held her on my lap allowing the little one to latch on but I could not tell that she was releasing any milk. I'm hoping that expected litter arrives soon and my other doe can take over. Otherwise I'll keep giving opportunity for the kit to nurse.

Sorry for the long update! Thanks for your advice/help!

Keep trying 2 or 3 times a day to get it fed. She'll drop her milk eventually. If she catches on to your holding her an latching the kit on there are other ways. One that works well for me is to put the kit in the front of a small nest box and hold her sideways over it. The little one won't get stomped that way and it kind of makes her sit still till you pick her up. :clover:

Homer":tzyu1rls said:
Keep trying 2 or 3 times a day to get it fed. She'll drop her milk eventually. If she catches on to your holding her an latching the kit on there are other ways. One that works well for me is to put the kit in the front of a small nest box and hold her sideways over it. The little one won't get stomped that way and it kind of makes her sit still till you pick her up. :clover:

Will do! Thanks Homer. I did this twice today and will do so again tonight and in the morning.
In the last half hour one of our other does kindled. I think tomorrow afternoon I'll put this single one with the other Mom & her litter. The 2nd doe has 6 and she had 7 in her last litter so that should work.

I thought I should add a photo of the lone bunny.
I went ahead and put it with the new litter.
Thanks again all.

Maggie%2BJr..jpg

Well, the advice to watch for more kits was well given.
To my surprise I went out to the rabbitry this morning to feed the rabbits and found Maggie (the one with the lone survivor) hopping around her cage with a kit head sticking out from her body!!
The poor thing was dead and quite stuck!! Her kits are just way too big at kindling - poor thing.
I spent an hour out in the rabbitry assisting her, then letting her work on her own, assisting again and continued this pattern until the poor (large) bunny was out. It was quite an experience for me, as I've not had to do anything in the kindling process before. Glad that's done!
I have photos my daughters took but I'm not sure anyone would want to see them! ha

Thankfully Lily is taking great care of the lone one with her litter of 6.

I had my fingers crossed for more kits, but not like that. So sorry.

The little one is adorable!

Oh wow, that's not a good experience to go through! I have one doe that's on my culling list (likely this weekend) b/c the 3 litters she has had for me were poor, each one having at least one large, stretched kit and only one survivor out of all 3...

Latest posts

Back