One floppy ear?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pepperoni

Reaction score
I have an 8 week old rex buck with one floppy ear. I just noticed it two days ago. It's been unusually hot here the last few days, so I suspected heat may be to blame. Then again, he's the only one in a litter of 7, or in my whole herd really that has a floppy ear. Because of this I also suspect injury. My question is, if this was caused by overheating then when could I expect the ear to right itself? I plan to keep him around to keep an eye on it, but if it doesn't go back up eventually he will be culled. I'm just wondering what's a reasonable amount of time to give him for the ear to go back up.

My Rex sometimes get floppy ears from the heat, but it only affects the tips. If it is flopping at the base, I would suspect injury. If the cartilage is broken, I doubt it will ever right itself.

Vitamin A deficiency can cause floppy ears as well, but I doubt only one ear would be affected in that case. Scroll nearly to the bottom of this link, and you will find an image of a rabbit with Vit. A deficiency:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/72228408/Rabbit-Diseases

*WARNING* The above link contains graphic necropsy photos of rabbits with various diseases.

Can be caused by the heat. I've seen some completely lop and then go right back to normal once it gets cold. Seen some that could easily be sold as Velveteen lops in the summer. So if he's nice, wait to see if it will correct itself. If not, you can just cull early.

Back